We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

4 posts
1 review
How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Hi,

I will be heading to Caracas from Scotland because it is a place I want to Visit as it is really bonnie! I have booked a flight for December and want to know if anyone could give any advice other than skelp me in the face and tell me not to go (Specially tourists that have been there recently) Thanks!!!!

82 replies to this topic
Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Caracas is not a tourist destination.

I do not understand what are you possibly going to to there.

Other than that, is a large metropolitan city vibrant with nightlife and good restaurants.

It is definitely not a place for trolls.

4 posts
1 review
2. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Hey! Thanks for your response, however what do you mean is not a place for trolls? And of course I wanna see the beautiful Venezuelan countryside, merida, margarita, etc.......... but also wanna spend some days in the capital city, I just wanna know if it is as bad for tourists as the media shows so I can keep the heid,

Cheers!!!!!!

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

No, it is not as bad as the media says. Its just a big non touristy city.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
355 reviews
4. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

I go there twice a year, but not through choice per se as I have family there.

It isn't a tourist destination and unless you speak very good Spanish and are incredibly savvy, I'd be tempted to give it a very, very wide berth. That's even if your airline still flies there come December.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Don't go there if you don't speak Spanish and don't know anyone.

Just to inform travellers that the bridge crossing over between Caracas International and National airport, has been closed off according to my wife. Not sure why they did this or if its been reopen. It was open when she was leaving the country couple of weeks ago. My wife had to talk to someone that she met on the plane. They both were going to national airport and walked over there together.

4 posts
1 review
6. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Cheers lads! Any recommendation is very much appreciated!

Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

HI, I,m from Caracas and I can tell you this place has some spaces for tourist to know, like "El Àvila" and "El Humbolt". If you love to eat, you can go to thousand of restaurants in "Los Palos Grandes" "Las Mercedes", "Altamira", and you will have a 5 stars attention and a great Food. In Las Mercedes theres a place call Leal Restaurant that has a great food and you will recieve the attention of the Chef Edgar Leal, who is a great person. But most of the tourist spaces are outside Caracas. Like Ciudad Bolìvar, Mèrida, Barquisimeto, Anzoàtegui.

If you are coming to Venezuela you have to go to "Angels Falls" and have to know all canaima places. Is a trip you`re not going to forget in your life.

Here is the instagram of a friend who organize different trips https://www.instagram.com/jaguaraventuras/ who can show you alot of the places where you can go.

Hope you enjoy your trip here and if you can, support my campaign on Indiegogo https:/…16896925 where I´m trying to exhibit the greatness of this country.

If I can help you with something, write me to my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nicofotografo/

Have a great trip

Lurgan, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

I have been twice before and am considering going again in December/January. My girlfriend is Venezuelan and is able to navigate things - unless you know someone there who speaks the lingo, has a local bank account and a car I would advise against it.

Faenza, Italy
Level Contributor
174 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

i will be in isla maragaritas alone from 22/12 to 4/01 ....do you have for me some advise?

Edited: 09 November 2017, 13:18
Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
103 reviews
10. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Playa el yaque is a lot of fun at night.

Reply to: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caracas