We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct Flights from US to Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar?

United States
Level Contributor
589 posts
4 reviews
Direct Flights from US to Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar?

I am trying to see if there are direct flights from any US city to Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar. Basically, I am planning to do a standard Angel Falls tour which typically starts from either Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar. All flights from US seem to go to Caracas only. I don't unnecessarily want to connect via Caracas if there might be any direct flights to Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar. Any idea about this?

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Direct Flights from US to Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar?

There are not direct flights from any US city to Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar.

Not all international flights connect via Caracas:

Avior Airlines has a flight that connnects Miami-Barcelona-Puerto Ordaz same day.

United States
Level Contributor
589 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Direct Flights from US to Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar?

Thank you so much for this information! All of your posts have been very helpful!

I checked Avior Airlines and I think it would make more sense to fly with them between Miami and Puerto Ordaz the same day, rather than having to connect via Caracas which is often time consuming due to an overnight stay plus change of airlines (international to domestic). In Avior's case, it seems to be a relatively smoother experience. So I'm glad to have found this option!

By the way, I'm also planning to fly to Merida to be able to see the Catatumbo phenomenon on Lake Maracaibo. Can you please recommend any optimal itinerary, which starts and ends with Miami (or any US city) and covers Merida plus Puerto Ordaz (or Ciudad Bolivar).

Which airlines fly to Merida? Unfortunately, Avior doesn't seem to fly there.

Edited: 18 July 2017, 17:29
Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Direct Flights from US to Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar?

"By the way, I'm also planning to fly to Merida to be able to see the Catatumbo phenomenon on Lake Maracaibo"

You need to go to Maracaibo not Merida.

United States
Level Contributor
589 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Direct Flights from US to Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar?

I saw that the Catatumbo tours are from Merida only. So I assumed I have to go to merida first. But do you mean that there are flights to Maracaibo? Or any tours from Maracaibo?

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: Direct Flights from US to Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar?

I actually went from Merida to Catatumbo. Almost all of these tours operators are based out of Merida.

I took this trip not long ago, but I had a car and bank account in Bolivares (and i speak Spanish). This maybe difficult for a foreigner.

God_of_Small_Things7 will be crossing Venezuela from east to west and south to north in the mountains.

This is a very long trip and there is not one easy way to do it. My advice is to check with your tour operator, explain the situation and see what they can arrange for you (we actually drove from merida to a small town called jaji and then to puerto concha).... perhaps they can pick you up in Merida (el vigia) airport.

Edited: 19 July 2017, 00:45
6. Re: Direct Flights from US to Puerto Ordaz or Ciudad Bolivar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2018, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Caracas