We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a home in Petare

Los Angeles...
5 posts
1 review
Buying a home in Petare

Can a gringo buy a home in Venezuela these days? How do you pay for it?

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Buying a home in Petare

Are you seriously thinking of buying a home in Petare? You need to do some more homework.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
1 review
2. Re: Buying a home in Petare

That's not an answer.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Buying a home in Petare

Yes, a gringo can buy a home in Petare. I see you are an american citizen? If so, first of all, you will need to secure a visa to be able to enter Venezuela. Then I would suggest finding a good lawyer to help you in your real estate ventures.

Good luck.

Edited: 11 April 2017, 12:37
Hell, Norway
4 posts
4. Re: Buying a home in Petare

I'm white British, I was in Petare last week and didn't get any funny looks when walking round. The Historic centre is worth seeing.. If you speak Spanish and feel comfortable walking around then you should be alright. But I would strongly advise visiting Petare before deciding to move there.

1 post
5. Re: Buying a home in Petare

Dont

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
354 reviews
6. Re: Buying a home in Petare

Very informed and helpful answer there from Angel C.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
1 review
7. Re: Buying a home in Petare

Seems a big problem is moving money into Venezuela as you can only bring $10000 in cash and you can't use bank transfers as banks give you an impossible exchange rate. Yeah, there's some fine looking airbnb:s and they will pick you up at the airport and they sound good. Maduro's government may be closer than we realize to bringing back common sense in monetary policy so you might make a killer deal picking up something now. $10000 in bolivars may require a van to move.

Edited: 14 April 2017, 06:14
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
354 reviews
8. Re: Buying a home in Petare

>>Maduro's government may be closer than we realize to bringing back common sense in monetary policy<<

Good luck with that one.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Buying a home in Petare

"Maduro's government may be closer than we realize to bringing back common sense in monetary policy ..."

They are married forever to the ignorant and mistaken economic model that they have followed for the last 19 years. There will be no significant changes until they leave.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
1 review
10. Re: Buying a home in Petare

Yeah, you want to think that mistakes ultimately get corrected, but maybe it's too much to wish for.

Get answers to your questions about Caracas