We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Shortage / Carrying Loads of Cash / Getting Money

San Diego...
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Food Shortage / Carrying Loads of Cash / Getting Money

Thanks so much for all the information I have received on these boards.

I am still however not clear on a few things. If someone can please clarify them for me that would be great.

1. I read stories online about food shortages and then I read about an amazing foodie scene. Which is it ? Will I be entering a city with a thriving foodie scene or will I be expected to wait in line for hours to purchase table salt ? If lets say I wanted to get off the street and purchase a bottle of water and a few snacks to take back to my hotel will there be stores to access this type of merchandise ?

2. Considering I find someone to " Exchange Lechuga Verde " for me will I be expected to carry loads of cash on me since the largest denomination of the Bolivar is a 100 note ? I think a Mc Donalds lunch is something like 20,000.

Does it get crazy and how do you manage to conceal so much cash on your person in a warm climate. Dipping into a stash pouch all the time can alert unwanted attention.

3. Am I to assume that ANYONE I ask will want my dollars in exchange for the parallel rate ? *** Do BILLS HAVE TO BE IN PRISTINE CONDITION and are some higher denominations like 50's and 100 accepted ?

Thanks so much for the responses.

6 replies to this topic
Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Shortage / Carrying Loads of Cash / Getting Money

There is sufficient food available if you have money. The shelves are currently stocked with imported goods at world prices.

You will be able to find snacks and beverages without problem.

Here most people use debit and credit cards on their Bolivar bank accounts so we don't need a lot of cash.

You can also use your foreign debit or credit card but the exchange rate will be approx. Bs.657. If you want to take advantage of the black market rate you will need to carry cash. For the guests at our posada (B&B) here in Margarita we just take them to the local stores and pay their bills with our debit card. We also have an arrangement with one of the local beach restaurants where our guests can charge meals and services like beach chairs and then we send a bank transfer every 5 days or so.

Good news is coming.

The government has announced that new bills will be introduced on Dec. 15 - Bs.500, Bs.1.000, Bs.2.000, Bs.5.000, Bs.10.000 & Bs.20.000.

As with so many things here an announcement doesn't necessarily equate with reality so on Dec. 15 seeing is believing.

$50 & $100 bills in good condition are preferred.

Mentioned in this post
Margarita Island
Margarita Island
Coastal Islands, Venezuela
San Diego...
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Shortage / Carrying Loads of Cash / Getting Money

^ Thank You for taking the time to respond.

I would still like to read responses from other travelers.

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Shortage / Carrying Loads of Cash / Getting Money

Pretty much all Playaelagua says is the exact truth.

In a chinese convenience store, one time they gave me less than black market rate because I gave them a bunch of $20s instead of a $100 bill, although I think they just ripped me off.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Shortage / Carrying Loads of Cash / Getting Money

PlayaElAgua did they release new denominations?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Shortage / Carrying Loads of Cash / Getting Money

Ha, ha. I laugh because on Dec. 12 he (Maduro) eliminated the Bs.100 bill, our largest bill, without having the new bills to replace then.

Here we are now in the middle of May and the Bs.100 bill still is around and the new bills are appearing in a trickle.

Most ATMs still only dispense Bs.100 bills although someone in Barcelona told me that on Friday they used one and got 1 bill of Bs.10.000 (the daily limit, about US$2 at black market rates). Another bank ATM only allowed a withdrawal of Bs.600.

So in answer to your question - yes. But good luck in finding any.

Lurgan, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Shortage / Carrying Loads of Cash / Getting Money

Check out my blog from my recent trip to Vzla in Jan 2018

https:/…

Reply to: Food Shortage / Carrying Loads of Cash / Getting Money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caracas