We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport is closest to Suffolk in England?

Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Which airport is closest to Suffolk in England?

I will be flying from the USA, with destination of Suffolk, England. Can someone please assist me with which of the 5 airports would be best to fly into?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airport is closest to Suffolk in England?

None are really convenient but Heathrow and Gatwick are the obvious ones if coming from the States.

What is your destination in Suffolk?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airport is closest to Suffolk in England?

Norwich is closest airport and, being small, formalities there are quick. You can reach Norwich from outside the UK by flight transfer in Amsterdam from where there are several daily flights for the very short trip to Norwich.

As OP has been placed in Harwich forum I assume that's your destination. A private transfer from Norwich airport to Harwich will be quicker, and cost a lot less, than from Heathrow or Gatwick. There's also an hourly train service from Norwich to Harwich changing at Maningtree.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airport is closest to Suffolk in England?

I should add that of the 5 London airports, Stansted is the most convenient for Harwich. From Stansted there's an hourly coach service to Colchester station then quite frequent trains for the short trip to Harwich International (station for port / cruise ships). The problem is that few, if any, airlines operate between US and Stansted but it might be possible with a flight transfer. It's a lot shorter trip vs the transfer from either Heathrow or Gatwick and avoids the congested London area.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airport is closest to Suffolk in England?

Norwich is not the nearest, Stansted is. And I hope you'll forgive me if I point out that Harwich is not in Suffolk, it's in Essex.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airport is closest to Suffolk in England?

Seriously, if you are flying in from Florida its a fair bet you will be landing at either Heathrow or Gatwick, neither of which are at all far from Suffolk.

Harwich, Essex
Level Contributor
167 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airport is closest to Suffolk in England?

Stanstead is the nearest to Suffolk. Gatwick & Heathrow can be easily reached by train. What part of Suffolk are you travelling to?

london
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airport is closest to Suffolk in England?

You are simply better of getting the best value flight into any london airport which will just be Gatwick or Heathrow and then getting a train from London Liverpool Street station to wherever in Suffolk. You can get a tube from Heathrow to Liverpool st easily enough (about an hour)or get a cheap bus (easybus.com) from Gatwick into Victoria Station and getting a tube from there to liverpool st

If u was to get into stansted you can get direct coaches to London which stop right next to Liverpool St (terravision coaches). Takes about an hour

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,465 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which airport is closest to Suffolk in England?

If I was going to Suffolk or Harwich from Stansted I'd get a bus or coach to Colchester and the train from there.

Edited: 13 March 2010, 13:42
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which airport is closest to Suffolk in England?

Mailmel, sorry but please restate your Q with your actual end destination rather than the general area (your question is not much different to me asking "I am flying to Florida, which airport should I use?").

You likely also wont have the luxury of choosing amongst all 5 airports in any case, and your best route, likely a combination of plane and train, very much depends where your actual destination is, not a general area like Suffolk.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which airport is closest to Suffolk in England?

The original post was 6 months ago, so they may have been and gone.