We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
100 reviews
Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences

Hi we thinking of booking for Christmas with Lyme Bay Holidays. Prices are a bit steep and so I wanted to find out whether anyone else would share their experience of booking cottages with them in winter time, before we commit. This is supposed to be a treat for our family so want it to be worth it! What was your experience of heating, cleanliness, response times etc.? Thanks

35 replies to this topic
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
757 reviews
1. Re: Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences

I've not been in winter (we went in August and the weather was cold for the summer). The booking process is pretty simple. We did only get 1 stairgate when we hired 2 but they gave us a refund and our daughter took nearly all week to realise she could climb the stairs on her own luckily for us. You probably want to book somewhere near to the town centre or cobb. We had a 10-15 minute walk up a steep hill back to the property we chose, and I wouldn't fancy that in winter. Everything went smoothly, and the information provided in the cottage was comprehensive in order to work the stuff we couldn't otherwise figure out.

2. Re: Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2012, 17:30

YorkshirePennines
8 posts
1 review
3. Re: Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences

We booked a property through Lyme Bay Holidays last year for Aug 2011, almost 3 months after we booked they wrote to us 2nd class post [no call, no email] to say the property was no longer available for the required weeks and that they had moved our booking to two weeks later.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
900 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences

I would always suggest to, where possible, steer clear of commission charging agencies, such as Lyme Bay. Given they can take up to 30% (!!) out of what you pay for your cottage, anyone owning a half decent property in today's age would be stupid to stay with them. Also, by dealing with owners direct, you prevent some of the issues as mentioned above. And you know when an agency/website charges the owner commission if it doesn't show you direct links to the property.

A great one to use in my book is www.special-escapes.co.uk (by Alastair Sawdays), who are bound to have good properties near Lyme / East Devon, or www.premiercottages.co.uk. A good local website is www.eastdevonexcellence.co.uk

Good luck, you'll enjoy that part of the world!

Lake Vinuela
2 posts
5. Re: Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences

We have recently returned from Dorset, where we stayed in a four star holiday cottage booked through Lyme Bay Holidays. This is our first and last dealing with this company as we were disgusted with the cottage we stayed in.

On arrival the first thing we noticed was the overwhelming smell of damp. This was noticably much worse upon opening cupboards, which were also dirty. The property was dirty and very grubby (heavy staining to carpets and furniture). We needed to wash all cutlery, crockery and pans before use as they had been put away dirty (one pan was spotted with mildew). Bed linen although clean was stained and all pillows were flat and hard with age. The shower screen had been cleaned like a porthole, the corners and along the bottom were extremely dirty and when opened the mould underneath was disgusting.

We have stayed in many cottages and holiday lets over the years, including ones awarded lower stars but this is the first time we have stayed in one with such appalling cleanliness issues.

If this company wants to have a returning customer base then they need to set in place a better system for inspecting the standards they quote so highly (yet which are clearly lacking) on their web site.

Manchester, United...
1 post
6. Re: Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences

We booked a cottage for July but due to family illness we had to cancel. Beware their compensation plan which sounds good but has an age restrcition, i.e. if the visistor is over 70 it does not apply. I have tried to rationalise with them that this is not fair but their arrogance has shown through and the company threatened legal action if we didn't pay the remainder. Unfortunately this all occurred after my mother in laws funeral and did cause considerable heartache. There was no sense of regret just arrogance and there complaint procedure is dealt with by the son of the chief executive with no obvious escalation avaialble to a federation or association apparent on their web site. Do not use them, go elsewhere!

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
900 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences

Forgive me SWB, but where I can totally understand your sentiment, and that at the time a combination of circumstances meant you had to cancel and didn't get the compensation you would have hoped for, but allow me to stick up for the other side (who I don't know by the way).

When you booked your stay, you will have agreed to terms and conditions, and having just checked Lyme Bays' one, these sound pretty reasonable (and common in the industry) to me. You also had the opportunity to take out an annual travel insurance policy with any insurance company, which would have covered you most likely.

And the latter is key here, as only you would have been able to insure against YOUR circumstances. Lyme Bay has no opportunity to insure against no-shows, so if a late cancellation means they have no realistic opportunity to re-let your property, then all they can do is ask you to honour your commitment. Or would you have expected them to take a full loss (read: other Lyme Bay clients to pay for your situation)?

Sure, they may not have dealt with it as sympathetically as they could have done, judging by your message, but they do state clearly that they will attempt to re-let where possible. And in their defence, not every operator would even go that far.

Key lesson: if you book a holiday, take out an annual travel policy immediately. Should cost you no more than £40 - 60, depending on circumstances and covers a whole array of possible issues.

reed herts uk
1 post
8. Re: Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences

Hi this is the 2nd time we have booked with Lyme bay holidays in oct half term,cant fault it very pleased,2 different houses,no probs all good,i would recommend.

Salisbury
Level Contributor
13 posts
347 reviews
9. Re: Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences

We have just come back from A Cote in Beaminster. Most immaculate place I have ever stopped in, in the UK.

Lyme Bay Holidays most efficient I have ever booked with.

I am glad |I didn't read these reviews before I booked as I would have missed a really great place.

Handy hint, make sure the place you book score at least 80% with Visit England.

Wiltshire UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences

I booked an apartment with them last year and had great service. When I couldn't get the TV to work (through my own stupidity) help arrived within the hour. I arrived on public transport and they left the key hidden at the properrty to save me travelling up the hill.

Charming and very clean apartment, I'm going back again in May.

Reply to: Lyme Bay Holidays - any more experiences
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lyme Regis