We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polluted streets & impossible parking

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Polluted streets & impossible parking

Its charm is utterly spoilt by congested & polluted streets & impossible parking. Traffic fumes from cars speeding up and down are trapped within its narrow steep streets . There is no pedestrianisation with traffic in every street no matter how small. Pedestrians have to walk in the road as the pavements are non existant. For car drivers its nose to tail and the signing is so poor it is difficult to find your way out of the town. Cars go round and round to find a very rare parking spot

12 replies to this topic
Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Polluted streets & impossible parking

Hi

Parking is almost impossible in most of the north ,as the streets were never designed for cars . When I visited La Orotava , we spent ages driving around trying to find the Balconies , and when we did find them I was very disappointed .

La Orotava has some charm , but I cannot see most of it ,and have got to agree with you about its drawbacks .

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Polluted streets & impossible parking

OK, we value your opinion but I don't see a point in starting a forum thread for this. I mean that's why Trip Advisor gives us the option to write a review.

La Marina, Spain
Level Contributor
860 posts
82 reviews
3. Re: Polluted streets & impossible parking

Parking, it is actually very easy. There are two free car parks with space for about 200 cars https://goo.gl/maps/s57sxDa7hWQ2 up the hill behind the theatre and a large pay car park over two floors https://goo.gl/maps/uACKW3yuux52 also just behind the theatre less than 200m from the main church and plaza.

Sadly, unlike touristy villages like Garachico which have small populations and no through traffic, Orotava is a very busy working residential town with ridiculously steep hills. It would be impossible to pedestrianise as there simply is no way to bypass and access the tiny residential streets higher up that make up much of the town. Cars are sadly a necessary evil in these hilly parts, but we do have great coffee and a good ice cream parlour and 400 years of historic buildings to enjoy. Avoiding working days, the streets are very much quieter, Sunday mornings are a good time to visit.

Edited: 03 March 2018, 11:59
Portugal
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Polluted streets & impossible parking

When you don't know a town finding parking can often seem a bit of a nightmare. But I'm with Dave, once you know where car parks are, parking in Orotava is straightforward. These old towns are far better being explored on foot anyway. Park up on the outskirts and walk, it's not a big town. I love walking around Orotava, always something interesting to see, but we all have differing preferences I guess.

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Polluted streets & impossible parking

"OK, we value your opinion but I don't see a point in starting a forum thread for this. "

Is that the Royal WE - don´t speak for me buddy, if someone wants to add a post they should feel free to do so and not have to put up with someone who joined this week telling them what they can and cannot do.

Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Polluted streets & impossible parking

It does seem like a review to me rather a question which is what I would have thought most people use a forum for. When I read it I thought it was an odd place to put this. I look at the review pages for reviews. It should not matter how long people joined for to have an opinion or should it? There you go a question? Or number of posts a person has done which I have seen before as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
1 review
7. Re: Polluted streets & impossible parking

It all seems fine to me.

phillipinleeds could have finished his post by asking 'have I got it wrong about La Orotava?', it then becomes a question and the town can be discussed.

For what its worth, I parked easily in La Orotava on my one visit but I tend to park up immediately when I see a space rather than trying to be as central as possible. I did find the town itself a little underwhelming and the 'balconies' a tourist trap. I really should return and explore a little more.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
13,109 posts
112 reviews
8. Re: Polluted streets & impossible parking

I too visited La Orotava only once (last February). Parked 5 minutes on foot from the Casa de los Balcones, which I rather liked (perhaps the fact that there were no other visitors helped). The street we walked from there to Plaza de la Constitucion was pedestrianised (maybe because of the Carnival), and en route we stopped at an excellent pasteleria, which also contributed to the overall good impression we had of the town -- so much so that I might consider using it as a base for our next visit in Tenerife!

9. Re: Polluted streets & impossible parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2018, 23:58

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
118 reviews
10. Re: Polluted streets & impossible parking

I dont have a problem with this post, great for someone who has not been here but was thinking of doing so, as the old saying goes "forwarned is forearmed" and thanks to the replys we now know where the parking is.

Reply to: Polluted streets & impossible parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Orotava
Recent Conversations