We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leftovers...

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Leftovers...

Being 100% self caterer's, what do folk do with any "leftovers" before they leave for the airport?

We used to bag everything up, and drop it off for the volunteers at the Donkey sanctuary... Beers, spirits, soft drinks, water, shower gels, unopened snacks/nibbles, uneaten fruit, half a jar of coffee, a few yogurts etc... nothing for the Donkey's themselves, although we did buy a bag of carrots one year, as we felt guilty! LOL

Must admit, they did always seem genuinely grateful.

This year, we just bagged it up, left a witty note for the cleaners (Using Google translate), and left it in the apartment for them... will they be offended, do you think?

Edited: 03 June 2018, 08:06
Raw Lounge & Tapas
€€ - €€€, Mediterranean, European, Spanish
GOODSTUFF CAFE
€€ - €€€, Cafe, European
La Bottega
€€ - €€€, Italian, Mediterranean, European
7 replies to this topic
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leftovers...

No they won't be offended!! My friend cleaned villas for many years and loved coming home with a bag of goodies!She never bought shampoo,shower gel or sun cream for years! :-) I like self catering and am a bit fed up if I have got there if they haven't left any washing up liquid etc.Don't want to buy cleaning stuff!

Edited: 03 June 2018, 08:26
Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leftovers...

Totally the norm to leave for the cleaners.i did that job for a while and anything is greatfully received.dito re shampoo shower gel etc!its a bleeping hard job. Never realised until i tried it.

Edited: 03 June 2018, 13:58
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leftovers...

Thanks for that, you two. That's great to know. I did have my doubts to be honest.

I get the impression there aren't many that rent this place now, as it seems all or part of the family that own it spend more and more time there themselves, almost to the point where it appears they are almost doing us a favour by letting us have our two weeks. Last year they left two days earlier than planned to allow us in on our chosen dates, so we didn't need to use a hostal for the first two nights (We book through an agency via 'phone calls and Emails, but our flights were already booked). We do tend to use a little of their washing up liquid/dishwasher tablets, food bags, and there was plenty of hand soap this time, although we have had to buy it in the past. We always leave more loo roll and kitchen roll than what is there when we arrive. There's always lots of condiments/spices/sugar etc, but we don't use sugar and certainly don't cook!! We always get our own tea and coffee though, even if there's plenty in. Same goes for sun lotion. I'd feel too cheeky using those!

One thing I shouldn't have listed, as we never leave it behind, is shower gel... Muckerette absolutely loves the "Oliva" brand (Mercadona's own brand, I think?) which is about 1€ a gallon! Ha Ha! We bought an extra bottle this year, and brought about 1.6L back with us! To be fair, my skin has never felt so soft!! LOL!

Thanks again folks. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Oliva
Oliva
1,649 Reviews
Nerja, Spain
Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leftovers...

I'm sure the cleaners will appreciate all that is left behind!

I love the Olivia(Mercadona) moisturising cream, again €1 a tub and brilliant quality. We only ever go hand luggage but when my daughter comes out we make sure she brings a couple of containers back for us.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leftovers...

I’m another fan of the Oliva’ tub. Best after sun moisturiser in the world!! (Maybe lol)

Mentioned in this post
Oliva
Oliva
1,649 Reviews
Nerja, Spain
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leftovers...

Usually lots of stuff left from the previous occupants so don't think the cleaners have it all .I only bring hand luggage so always leave loads of bits behind ,shower gel ,shampoo,suncream plus tea bags ,coffee,washing powder conditioner etc.Can't carry it home so let someone else use it .I have also given a carrier bag of stuff to the people in the next door apartment is they are staying for a while longer.

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leftovers...

Yeah depends on the company cleaning. Some can be very tight and not allow staff to take things that arent open and wont go off.some times they dont take everything as alot of times you find the same types of things left behind like huge packets of spagetti.people come with intention to cook but end up not bothering! Or giant bottles of olives that they have to buy as they are in spain but actually hate the things!!!

Reply to: Leftovers...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nerja