We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discrimination I witnessed

Birr, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Discrimination I witnessed

Portumna is a lovely town the locals are friendly but every good thing has a bad side and for Portumna it is how pubs in the vicinity treat members of the travelling community which has gone on for years especially when I witnessed a group of ten local travellers being refused entry by the very people they grew up with its shocking as these people are well liked by the community but the Portumna pubs don't seem to care because they are travellers,, a member of there family who is also local passed away and after the funeral they wanted to get a drink and to grieve in peace,, the family then went to killimor and were refused entry and then by kiltormers pub,,

I think it's disgraceful that they were treated this way and I am appalled by the pubs,, they even were told by treacys bar killimor that they should not bother trying to bring it to the attention of the gardai or solicitors because there word would be taken and not the family's,, you would think that they would learn there lesson since back in 2000 a pub there was sued by members of the travelling community for the first time since the law came out

All I have to say is shame on them for treating a grieving family like this

County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discrimination I witnessed

I've witnessed it in Cork city once. A group of say 5 travellers told they were about to close the pub by the bar woman as they entered. They politely left. I was stunned and said pub didn't close.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discrimination I witnessed

I appreciate your concerns but not sure what this has to do with travel in the other sense of the word?

Birr, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Discrimination I witnessed

it seems to be happening everywhere unfortunately. Travellers are being judged by a few bad apples but to refuse a small group like 5 now that is shameful. Amaging how they felt being told that in front of everyone it would be horrendous

Birr, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Discrimination I witnessed

i visited this town and to witness this happening is shocking,, the pub owners need to know that they cannot discriminate anyone and this is also my review of the towns local pubs

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discrimination I witnessed

Hmm, since we are visiting for the first time in this fall - please clarify this post.

Are you saying that local pubs do NOT want business from travelers visiting the area? They would rather cater to locals - who will provide return business.

Birr, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Discrimination I witnessed

Sorry if you misunderstood my post I was referring to Irish travellers who are an ethnic minority in Ireland

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Level Contributor
270 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discrimination I witnessed

Well ward then you need to tell the traveling community to start behaving. Maybe YOU can go and teach them . Teach and educate them.

Birr, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Discrimination I witnessed

Maybe if small minded people stop thinking that there all the same then these type of things wouldn't happen. There is a few bad apples in all community's but the ones I'm speaking about are college graduates that have an education and jobs and help out there community's

Level Contributor
270 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discrimination I witnessed

I don't get you? What does a collage education have to do with it. You have to be the change that people see. Be the best YOU can be. Maybe at some point people will change how they see you and your community..

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discrimination I witnessed

I think the point of a college education *is* exactly that someone is trying to be the best they can be.