We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heatherhill Cottages, Letterfrack

Glasgow
1 post
Save Topic
Heatherhill Cottages, Letterfrack

Web site claims cottage is "newly constructed". By that reckoning, Noah's ark is "relatively recent"!

We have never been so disappointed in holiday accommodation. It was a pigsty but the pig which was rooting in what passed for a garden would have been ashamed to call this cottage home.

The downstairs shower-room and toilet was disgusting. The dim light just about showed up the black mould on the shower-curtain and around the basin. Light also showed the rust on the radiator and the shower-curtain pole. The toilet seat was ill-fitting and moved when used. The whole room smelled of damp, which the week and noisy fan did little to dispel. We had to request that towels were given to us, despite having paid for these in addition to the rent. We were initially given one towel each, and no bathmats. The towels were old, threadbare and mismatched.

Our bedroom door had to be jammed shut as there was no means of shutting it properly. The curtains were old and ill-fitted with at least a foot of hem hanging down from one, making whole room appear squalid and uncared for.

The lounge was ridiculously small for the number of people staying here and the furniture was circa 1970.

Throughout the house, some lamps did not have working bulbs and indeed some lamps had no bulbs at all.

The wooden floorboards and lack of sound insulation, throughout the house, meant that every footstep could be heard by everyone.

The kitchen was, perhaps, the worst equipped room in the house. The utensils that were there were either broken, rusty, dirty or blunt. This kitchen lacked the most basic of utensils, e.g. a sharp knife, wooden spoon, colander. The ancient cooker was extremely inefficient, which meant cooking was both frustrating and slow.

We were “allowed” 5 hours of heating per day. If we wanted more we had to pay for it. The electricity was by pre-payment meter, which we found extremely galling, given the high rental charged for this appalling property.

The apparently home-made speed bumps on the road in the grounds caused damage to underside of car when travelling with more than 2 people in the car, no matter how slowly one drove.

Despite this property’s ideal location near the Connemara National Park, it has absolutely nothing else to commend it. Avoid the place at all costs!

4 replies to this topic
Waterford, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heatherhill Cottages, Letterfrack

Would have to disagree!

We stayed here recently and we were delighted with the house. It had everything we could want while holidaying!

The weather was great and meant the children played on the grounds which was equipped with swings, go karts, bikes, horses to pet, pigs to feed and chickens too!

the location was ideal and only short walk to shop, restaurant, pub, national park and was only few mins drive to so many places!

The large house meant we had plenty of room to relax and the children to play in also!

The owners were family living on the location and were more than helpful! My children became friends with theirs and spent most of the time playing on the grounds.

Sorry your holiday here was not ideal but i would most highly recommend this place!

House was cleaned, well equipped, plenty of towels etc

we WILL be back again!

California
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heatherhill Cottages, Letterfrack

We recently stayed at Heatherhill cottages and were so disappointed. I left a message for Carmel who is the owner as she never came by even to collect the rest of the monies we owned her for the rental of her cottage. I'm sure back in the day the cottages were quite beautiful. However they have detiorated immensely. There is no letter to inform you that you must pay for electricity and we only had one shower that had hot water with 6 of us staying there. There are also no towels to be had, not only in the bathrooms but also in the kitchen. There are no paper towels or napkins and toilet paper was very sparse. If you are going to stay here I recommend shopping and getting the adequate supplies you will need for your stay and discounting the rent. I definitely would not recommend staying here and there are plenty of other accommodations in the area. Connemara is delightful but unfortunately HeatherHill Cottages are not!

Kelsall
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heatherhill Cottages, Letterfrack

Hi We recently stayed at the Heatherhill Cottages in Heatherhill lodge - it was a great house for a family - great layout - quiet and plenty of room outside for the kids to run around and very safe

There were a lot of niggles and problems with the house - far too many for the price paid but Carmel fixed what she could when we asked the rest we just let go as it was so relaxing and everything more or less worked and we were having a great holiday in such a fantastic area

The bottom line I think is that the houses need a bit of TLC - it would not take much or cost much to bring the lodge up to scratch all the basics and more are there - if a handyman spent a few hours a week doing some general repairs it would soon be a lot better - also as others have said the cost of the electric is not included in the rent though some of the literature supplied implied that it was , clearly it would be much better to make everything much clearer so there were no misunderstanding

The plumbing was the most complicated I have ever encountered and culminated in finding that the heating had come on while we were out on a boiling hot day ! Carmel sorted this quickly and gave us a concession on the slot meter which turned out to be very fair

Letterfrack and these houses are lovely - if you can get over the niggles you can have a great time as we did

however if you are going to charge top dollar - you are going to get more and more complaints until you address the problems !!

Pete

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heatherhill Cottages, Letterfrack

We stayed at Heatherhill Lodge and we weren't disappointed. The lodge was spacious for us. 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and all the amenities we needed. Carmel was attentive to our needs and she offered us the use of her washing machine when the one in the lodge was not working properly. We knew about the electric meter so it wasn't an issue. The wifi signal wasn't strong in the common rooms but we did get a good signal upstairs. It does have its quirks like every cottage I've ever stayed in but it wasn't the worst place I've ever been in. Its location was great as we could literally walk to the park and do our hiking every day. I would stay here again.

Reply to: Heatherhill Cottages, Letterfrack
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Letterfrack
Recent Conversations