We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night / morning near Tempe

Hove, England
Level Contributor
76 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
One night / morning near Tempe

I'm overnighting in mid September at the Hilton Phoenix Airport from a flight from the UK.

Looking at the maps there doesn't seem to be much near the hotel, and Tempe seems the nearest place. Maps say that it is about 3 miles to walk to somewhere like Mill Ave.

I'll be due to land (all being well) about 5.30, so expect to be at the hotel by 7. At my walking pace 3 miles will be about 45 mins.

First question is, would walking from one to the other at night be safe and if so will it be worthwhile or am I better off spending the evening at the hotel bar lol?

Second question is the same for the morning (though swap the bar out and put the hotel pool in!) Given the time difference I'll probably wake early but would be expecting to leave the hotel about 11ish?

I'm not adversed to getting a cab but quite like walking and seeing the local area. I did look into trying to hire a bicycle but that seems to have been a non-starter.

If the general advice is I'm too far away and better off enjoying the hotel, thats fine.

Many thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Phoenix Airport
Hilton Phoenix Airport
1,569 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,617 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night / morning near Tempe

I would never make that walk nor recommend it for others. Take a Lyft or Uber, and get your walking in around Mill Ave.

Arizona
Level Contributor
731 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One night / morning near Tempe

A slightly different perspective than BoxingJohn: I would not feel unsafe making that walk (I walk all over Tempe and rarely feel unsafe, but YMMV), just head straight east on University and you'll hit Mill Ave and downtown Tempe. With that said, it is not a pretty or interesting walk. In fact, I would say there is nothing at all of interest along that stretch of road. You could take the local bus #30 or Uber/Lyft.

Mill avenue has a lot of restaurants and bars, and drunk college kids. In the morning you could walk along Tempe Town Lake which is quite nice (for desert dwellers at least).

Mentioned in this post
Tempe
Tempe
Central Arizona, AZ
Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,617 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night / morning near Tempe

Or you could switch your hotel to something in downtown Tempe, like the Courtyard Marriot on Ash. They have an airport shuttle, and it's not any further from Sky Harbor than that Hilton.

Hove, England
Level Contributor
76 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night / morning near Tempe

OK, many thanks, gives me some ideas. Will look into the bus option, check when it runs etc see if that's viable. Given the flight delays the route I'm on at the moment the options may be taken out of my hands.

Sadly can't change the hotel, but I'm doing the same journey in May next year so will look at different hotels in a more central location for that.

All the best.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,617 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night / morning near Tempe

Don't waste your time on the bus, it's like a $5 Lyft/Uber ride.

6. Re: One night / morning near Tempe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2017, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Tempe
More Tempe Topics