We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speed Traps in Sierra Vista

Brentwood, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Speed Traps in Sierra Vista

We just returned from this area as we were traveling across the Southwest. Sierra Vista (and other towns in Arizona) has red light and speed cameras posted all over town, particularly on the main road that you must travel. There are not always signs posted warning of this (which are supposed to be posted). We were going around a vehicle when we saw a large flash. Two weeks after we got home we received a ticket in the mail. The shocking thing was the amount of the ticket: $269. And we were only going two miles over the limit they allow (because we had just gone around a vehicle). They also report this to your state, so it goes against your driving record unless you take the on-line driving course (at a cost of $220). So please be very aware of your speed and of all red lights in Arizona.

8 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,830 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: Speed Traps in Sierra Vista

Read carefully whatever threats area made in the notice. AZ law actually says that the complaint is not valid unless you respond or you are served in person. They're not going to send someone to Tennessee to serve a complaint. This is not legal advice. You can also respond that it is not you. I am fairly sure that they cannot record this in your home state unless there is a conviction. You can ask your state's motor vehicle dept about that.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Speed Traps in Sierra Vista

Why does everyone who gets a speeding ticket claim it is a speed trap? Two miles "over the limit they allow" means you were going 12 miles over the speed limit. So, you were passing another vehicle. I guess that vehicle must have been crawling along at only 5 miles over the speed limit maybe. Drive the speed limit and obey traffic signals and you won't get a ticket. Simple, isn't it?

3. Re: Speed Traps in Sierra Vista

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 May 2013, 01:05

Sierra Vista...
Level Contributor
17 posts
299 reviews
4. Re: Speed Traps in Sierra Vista

Voters have voted to have the lights removed and they have not been operational in over a year.

The city has now posted more police cruisers at rotating intersections around town and county, though and they will ticket you for not stopping properly at stop signs, not using your turn signals or pulling over for emergency vehicles. State road 90 and 92 south of town and Moson Road are popular areas where cops now hang out.

Suburban Chicago
Level Contributor
6 posts
89 reviews
5. Re: Speed Traps in Sierra Vista

Thank you for this helpful update.

Sierra Vista...
Level Contributor
17 posts
299 reviews
6. Re: Speed Traps in Sierra Vista

You are welcome! The red light camera lights have been removed now, so the camera speed traps are a mute issue in Sierra Vista. Tucson got rid of them as well, but they may still be in some rural areas across Arizona. Sierra Vista definitely has beefed up its physical surveillance locations, though. I see city SVPD and county sheriff vehicles all over the southern parts of town, where I live. Part of that is to catch drug and human smugglers coming out of the nearby mountains. SR92, Moson and Ramsey Roads are notorious places for LEO and they are sticklers about vehicles not coming to complete stops.

And don't even think about driving under the influence!!!

TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
7. Re: Speed Traps in Sierra Vista

I assume you will not be speeding in our state anymore.

Brentwood, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Speed Traps in Sierra Vista

That's right. I didn't say that it wasn't my fault. I had a problem with the lack of signage for someone that's not from there. But you're right also. I will never be back to your city. Thank you.

Reply to: Speed Traps in Sierra Vista
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sierra Vista