We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip/mini vacation from Lubbock, TX to Tombstone, AZ

Lubbock, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Road trip/mini vacation from Lubbock, TX to Tombstone, AZ

We are wanting to road trip to Tombstone, AZ (several Wyatt Earp fans in my family). We're starting in Lubbock, TX and driving. I like to stop along the way at historical or interesting places. My family includes a 5 yr old and several children. Any advice on places to stop at/attractions to see?

Mentioned in this post
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
6 replies to this topic
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,423 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip/mini vacation from Lubbock, TX to Tombstone, AZ

We Arizonans understand western fans. But I'm not sure Tombstone is worth 640 miles and a day's travel. You can see it in a few hours. Here are some other things you could see between Lubbock and Tombstone: Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands NM, Silver City NM, Gila Cliff Dwellings. Once you get to Arizona, also visit Bisbee an 1890s mining town much as it was about 20 miles southeast from Tombstone.

Other things you might want to see here include Kartchner Caverns about a half hour from Tombstone. Also go to the Tucson forum, and see Top Questions at top right about things to do which also includes a link to a blog with many more.

Edited: 07 February 2013, 05:46
Mentioned in this post
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Bisbee
Bisbee
Arizona
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip/mini vacation from Lubbock, TX to Tombstone, AZ

Billy the Kids Grave Fort Sumner NM. Lincoln NM for Billy. Smokey Bear SP Capitan NM.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
Nebraska
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip/mini vacation from Lubbock, TX to Tombstone, AZ

Agreed. Fort Sumner actually offers quite a bit more real history than Tombstone in terms of development of the West. If you want an old mining town, you can continue on to Madrid.

Mentioned in this post
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip/mini vacation from Lubbock, TX to Tombstone, AZ

Along I-10, just east of Benson, is Texas Canyon. Take the Dragoon exit and stop in (or even stay overnight) at the Triangle-T Guest Ranch. Just a little way down the road from there is the Amerind Foundation Museum.

http://www.azretreatcenter.com/

http://www.amerind.org/

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Brentwood, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip/mini vacation from Lubbock, TX to Tombstone, AZ

We just returned from this area. Tombstone is touristy cute, but Bisbee is a really better bet. There are some wonderful shops, the mine tour, and it is more realistic.

A word of warning for anyone traveling in Arizona, especially in Sierra Vista: there are red light/speed traffic cameras everywhere. There are not always signs posted to warn you of this. We got a speeding ticket in Sierra Vista from one of the traffic cams as we were going around a vehicle. The ticket was $269. With no way to fight this, you are stuck. And it does go against your driving record. So really watch yourself in Arizona.

Mentioned in this post
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
Bisbee
Bisbee
Arizona
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Sierra Vista...
Level Contributor
17 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip/mini vacation from Lubbock, TX to Tombstone, AZ

Just an update: the speed cameras were outvoted by us residents and have been removed as of 2015.

Reply to: Road trip/mini vacation from Lubbock, TX to Tombstone, AZ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sierra Vista