We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Sierra Vista area in early November

Worcester, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Visiting Sierra Vista area in early November

Hi, I'm visiting my daughter who lives near Sierra Vista in November. I know nothing about the area (I'm English) and would love some ideas for interesting places to see while I'm here. I especially enjoy history, local culture and scenery.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,898 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Sierra Vista area in early November

The old western town of Tombstone is about a half hour from Sierra Vista. It's worth a few hours. Also the picturesque old mining town of Bisbee now somewhat a place for art and antiques is also a half hour from Bisbee.

The area west and southwest of Sierra Vista is very scenic. There are roads into the Huachuca Mountains from that area.

The vineyards and wineries in the Sonoita area also a half hour from SV. To see the most of them, weekends are best.

The San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area (NCA) contains nearly 57,000 acres of public land and is just east of SV.

In the town of Patagonia less than an hour from SV, there is the Nature Conservancy wildlife area that is very good for seeing birds in the fall.

sparta, nj, usa
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Visiting Sierra Vista area in early November

Tombstone is a fun, although touristy, place to visit. The most authentic tour is of the Good Enough mine, where they bring you down into the mine and show you the working conditions the miners endured, and give you demonstrations of how the silver was actually mined. (Can you tell this was my favorite tour?) It's also fun to check out the re-enactments of the infamous shoot-out at the OK Corral (Wyatt Earp, Doc Holiday, etc.), the Birdcage Theatre, and the saloons. Just walking on Allen Street you'll see lots of attractions - folks walking around 'in character' from the 1800's; a stagecoach trolling for customers; trick-riders on horseback selling their show.

We are returning to Tombstone next week (like you, we're visiting family) and are taking an off-road jeep-tour with Will of www.guideddiscoverytours.com. We're going to the top of China Peak, where the views are supposed to be amazing.

We also plan on going to Kartchner Caverns and taking the tour.

Hope this helps!

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Sierra Vista area in early November

As already mentioned, Tombstone is a GREAT place to visit for old west flavor - as is much larger Bisbee. The drive down along highway 92 from Sierra Vista down into the San Pedro Valley and up the other side over to Bisbee is incredibly scenic, with views eastwards and south into Mexico that are to die for - especially right at the bend of the road where it changes direction from south to east. WOW!

Also - as already mentioned - Kartchner Caverns is very very cool, with the caves being in virtually pristine condition and under pretty high security to try and keep them that way (you'll feel like you are entering Fort Knox as you are led through the series of heavy steel doors down into the caves).

FInally, Tucson has TONS to do - from the Desert Museum to the Old Tucson studios, to the Pima Air & Space Museum and the Botanical Gardens. A bit further away, you have world class observatories SW of Tucson and up near Safford.

SE Arizona is wonderful, and - aside from parts of Southern California most famous for it's weather - probably the best climate in the entire continental US. As soon as we get our house sold up here in Seattle we're moving down to our retirement property near Benson (about half way between Tucson and Sierra Vista).

We can hardly wait.

Ken

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
90 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Sierra Vista area in early November

Sarah, if you're still checking this post I'm adding a few more ideas.

To get to Tombstone from Sierra Vista take Charleston road and stop on the way at the prehistoric Murray Springs Clovis Site. It is an easy walk with one steep part . There are interpretive signs. A little farther along this road visit ghost towns of Millville and Charleston. You cannot actually get to Charleston but Milville is fascinating if you don‘t mind a little hike. On the way from Tombstone go north and take route 82 west. Stop in another ghost town of Fairbank. There you have opportunity not only to learn of historical facts but also hike and see some restored buildings. Restoration is still going on. From the same road there is a trail to Presidio Santa Cruz de Terrenate, which is old Spanish Fort. To visit all the above sites and Tombstone you need more than one full day.

You can visit the Amerind Museum with its great exhibits of Native American art and culture. Bring picnic with you to have among huge boulders.

Visit Coronado National Memorial and see a film a the Visitor Center. From the visitor center hike to Geronimo Cave. Views from the trail are superb but if you want to get down to the cave bring a flashlight and don’t go alone. Drive to Montezuma Pass for views and hikes.

About a 1 ½ hour drive east from Sierra Vista is Chiricahua National Monument with spectacular views and unusual rock formations. Take a hike on Echo Canyon trail built buy CCC in 1930 and be fascinated by work they did and views all along this trail.

About two hours east of Sierra Vista and south of Tucson is Tumacacori National Historical Park.

We like hiking in Saguaro National Park East. It is a nice drive from Sirerra Vista if you take back roads.

South of Bisbee we visited several times John Slaughter Ranch. Lots of history there but a long drive (maybe 14 miles) on dusty road. On the way from there you can stop in Douglas. The Gadsden Hotel seems run down but some old glory still remains and Tiffany glass windows are exquisite.

There are many hiking trails in the cool mountains around Sierra Vista including several great trails inside the Fort Huachuca but only the US residents are permitted. To get to Parker Canyon Lake we take a scenic route through the Fort Huachuca to the west gate but you can drive around and stop in Snoita on the way back and taste local wines. The lake is beautiful and there is a trail a few miles long along the lake.

There is so much to do in the area. Check the website of the town of Sierra Vista for more ideas

http://www.sierravistaaz.gov/visitors/

sierravistaaz.gov/egov/docs/1282837419708.htm

5. Re: Visiting Sierra Vista area in early November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2011, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Sierra Vista