We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Sierra Vista - What to expect

Pulaski, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
First visit to Sierra Vista - What to expect

Hi,

My hubby, 9 YO daughter and myself will be visiting Sierra Vista and Fort Huchuaca in Mid-June. I'm looking for information on places to go and places to stay away from.

I'm also looking for information on where I can find day trips into Nogales, Mexico. We're planning on driving to Nogales, AZ and walking accross the boarder I'm just wondering if you anyone could help out with my questions. Thank you for your time.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: First visit to Sierra Vista - What to expect

Are you going for a vacation or to check out the base? I visited both about a year or so ago. My impression was that Sierra Vista is a pretty run of the mill small town. I didn't find anything significant to see or do in that town. (Maybe someone else will post differently.) I found Fort Huachuca interesting, but that's only because I had never been on a military base before.

From Sierra Vista, I highly recommend visiting Bisbee, Tombstone, and Kartchner Caverns State Park, all within an easy drive.

Please search for "Nogales" in the Arizona forum and read the recent posts about Nogales, Mexico. People are highly recommending not going there at this time. You won't miss anything.

Enjoy your trip!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,905 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: First visit to Sierra Vista - What to expect

The following was taken directly from the State Dept's most recent Travel Alert (2/20/09) about travel to Mexico. Read the entire alert (link below) as to why this is not a place for a family to visit: "A number of areas along the border are experiencing rapid growth in the rates of many types of crime. Robberies, homicides, petty thefts, and carjackings have all increased over the last year across Mexico generally, with notable spikes in Tijuana and northern Baja California. Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana and Nogales are among the cities which have recently experienced public shootouts during daylight hours in shopping centers and other public venues. Criminals have followed and harassed U.S. citizens traveling in their vehicles in border areas including Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, and Tijuana."

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,343 posts
105 reviews
3. Re: First visit to Sierra Vista - What to expect

It's very pretty but kind of dull. Lots of chain restaurants, a small shopping mall and a few bars. You should take trips to Bisbee, Tombstone, Ramsey Canyon, Kartchner Caverns, Arizona's wine country near Sonoita and, if you have time, the Coronado National Monument area. Many people in SV spend their weekends in Tucson though, just because there's not much to do.

The residents are a mix of retirees, military and border patrol. It's a transient town. They've built a lot of housing in the past five years and the city has grown to over 50,000.

The southern, newer part of town seems to be the nicer area, but there's not really a defined "bad" area. Like most military towns, it seems like the apartment complexes harbor much of the crime. And they've had issues at some of the low-end bars recently.

Yeah, don't go to Mexico just now. There's no reason to. If you want to go to Mexico, fly down to Mazatlan or another beach destination.

Pulaski, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: First visit to Sierra Vista - What to expect

Thanks to all of you for the information. I printed off the info on Mexico and am hoping that hubby will reconsider a visit there. It really doesn't sound like a place I'd like to go. I've been to Ciudad Juaraz and that was awful. If Nogales is anything like that, I'll pass.

I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond. You've given my plenty of destinations to work into our itinerary. Have a great day!

5. Re: First visit to Sierra Vista - What to expect

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 11:24
Get answers to your questions about Sierra Vista