We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Boots Needed?

Chatham, New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking Boots Needed?

We will be in Sedona the second week in April and want to do a fair amount of hiking. Mind you, I'm a 65 year old woman in pretty good shape, but I don't expect to be doing really difficult hikes with much rock climbing. Will sneakers suffice? I hate, hate, HATE wearing my hiking boots on the plane from the east coast, but I will if they will enhance my hiking experiences. We are not going to the Grand Canyon on this trip.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hiking Boots Needed?

I gotta go with RR on this one. Esty I don't care how broken in a pair of walking or riding "cowboy" boots are, I don't think I would take them down into the canyon. Give me a nice firm pair of hi-top lace ups everytime. About the Tony Lama's. There is something about a vintage pair with the metal arch support that is just right and the heels are cut just right, an angle you just can't seem to get get on almost all new boots. I don't know what changed. I'll gladly take a pair of well broken in old boots that look like, well, old boots, any day of the week.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
806 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hiking Boots Needed?

Now that's a fact RR - in youthful folly I once knew no better than ton traipse around Manhattan all day long in my cowboy boots - and the soles of my feet were complaining most vociferously for days after. No, when it comes to extended walking and hiking Timberland, Ariat and the like are the answer. Again, on natural trails (i.e. not paved) a solid sole and ankle support/ protection is were beneficial, on perefctly level or even paved ground sneakers will do. Perefct fit and being broken in previously also make for a happy hiking experience w/o regrets.

Edited: 10 March 2012, 11:33
Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
806 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hiking Boots Needed?

Misunderstanding here it seems: I never suggested OP or anyone go hiking in cowboy boots - definitely not! - Ariats are not boots, they're shoes ...

Chatham, New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hiking Boots Needed?

I have a pair of Timberlane hikers as well as a very worn-in pair of Bass hikers. Although I was thinking more in terms of bringing two pairs of my walking sneakers--one for the hikes and one to change into, I may rethink this and give in to wearing one of the hiking shoes to travel in. There is nothing like hiking in more support and comfort than wondering if your feet would have felt better had you worn them. Thanks again for weighing in on this!!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hiking Boots Needed?

You do not need boots. I got a pair of Adidas cross trainers (Kanadia TR 3) for our Phoenix/Sedona trip in February and they were perfect. We hiked Camelback Mt. in Phoenix and Bell Rock in Sedona. Had a great time!! (Btw, I am a 55 yr. old female.)

Chatham, New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hiking Boots Needed?

Thank you so much for posting. I just got back from a 4 mile hike through the woods in my hiking boots, and my feet are screaming. I wouldn't be happy if they felt this way the whole time we were hiking. My sneakers are very supportive---they are strictly for walking/running (Saucony Ride 4), and I'm certain they will serve me well. And if they turn red--------oh well!! My 500 miles on these shoes end in the summer so I'll be getting new ones. Nor am I adverse to throwing them in the washing machine!! The thought of having to wear my hikers on the plane turns my stomach!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hiking Boots Needed?

You should be fine with your sneaks. But while you are here you might want to pick up a pair of cowgirl boots for your hikes around the dance floor.

18. Re: Hiking Boots Needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:42