We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short term vacation rentals

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,230 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Short term vacation rentals

Sedona RedRock News. Front page, top right.

City Cracks Down on Vacation Rentals

I'll post a link as soon as it's up. The story details how the city is strictly enforcing the ban on private vacation home rentals for terms of less than 30 days. The focus is on properties advertised on the Internet. Penalties include fines up to $2500 and six months in jail.

I have noted this in previous posts with information that many of these rentals still happen but stay below the radar. This article indicates that enforcement is on the rise. In times like these where every government entity is looking for ways to find additional revenue, this issue is a no brainer. One or two city employees can easily monitor the Internet and generate extra money quickly and cost effectively.

Consider the risk and add the potential cost to your vacation budget, if you are contemplating a private rental that is non conforming.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short term vacation rentals

[bump]

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,230 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short term vacation rentals

redrocknews.com/News/city-of-sedona-cracks-d…

Here's the link from today's paper.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short term vacation rentals

Hire someone to monitor the internet, give them a laptop, and also a mop and set them in the rest stops that AZ closed to save money. Kill two birds with one stone. It's called multitasking. LOL

RRx--you ought to put the site up on the FAQ section for future reference.

Edited: 03 August 2011, 21:01
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,230 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short term vacation rentals

Thanks John. Done

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,466 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short term vacation rentals

LOL @ Stl....that's an awesome idea! ;)>

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,230 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short term vacation rentals

Bump

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,230 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short term vacation rentals

I talked to a man this week who has a neighbor who has been cited for violation of this statute. He said the whole neighborhood was aware of the illegal rental, but no one actually complained. The property owner was tracked via his Internet ads and the owner and tenant were both cited in a coordinated sting.

These homeowners are being tracked just like it said in the news article. He faces a $2500.00 fine and up to 6 months in jail.

Cincinnati, OH
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Short term vacation rentals

What is this I read about short term rentals being illegal in AZ? I've been exploring the Sedona area for a couple weeks now as a spot for our family to gather for a vacation. We have been looking at and talking with single family homes owners, to rent for a week as it is really the only option for us if we want to stay together and fix our own meals. After researching for all this time, I just today read that this is illegal?? It doesnt make sense to me. Is this really true? We may have to rethink Sedona as a destination if this is the case.

Cincinnati, OH
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Short term vacation rentals

We have been exploring the Sedona online for a couple of weeks now and had decided on it as a place for our family to gather. We had been talking to owners online, on rentals advertised on Trip Advisor, for a week in June. Now I am reading that these rentals may be illegal? Is this true? What is a noncomforming rental? A single family home is the best solution for us as we can all stay together and prepare our own meals. If it is in fact illegal to rent a home for a week, we may have to rethink our plans to stay in Sedona. Could anyone give me any more detail on this.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,230 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short term vacation rentals

Bostonfern, it is not all of AZ where this is the case. Local ordinances in the city of Sedona and the county of Yavapai prohibit short term rentals of private residences for terms of less than 30 days.

They still happen, under the radar and outside the law. But there have been citations and fines and court rulings for some violations. Be aware of your situation and understand that if you choose to ignore the statutes you could end up with consequences.