We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for next weekend, feedback welcome!

Chicago
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for next weekend, feedback welcome!

Family of four coming in on Thursday 2/24 through Monday from Chicago. I must say hearing of the winter storms has me worried. The last thing this Chicagoan wants to see is a bunch of snow :( Hope it's done by Thursday.

I don't like to over plan because we like to be flexi, but so far this is what we have:

Thursday: Arrive PHX at 9am then brekkie at Rock Springs Cafe along the way. Sight see uptown Sedona, Check in to Sky Ranch Lodge, 6pm reservations for special celebration dinner at Cowboy Club/Silver Saddle.

Friday: Brekkie at Red Rock Cafe. Jerome with lunch at Haunted Hamburger, and Tuzigoot

Saturday: *Drive Oak Creek Canyon to Grand Canyon for the day (Yes I know one day isn't enough but it's all we have, and we've done it once before) Maybe dinner in Flagstaff somewhere in the way back???

Sunday: Early morning 4 hour Barlow Jeep Rental. Sunset Crater, Wupatki (or as much as we have time for)

Monday: Boynton hike, and/or cathedral hike (or just as much of it that can safely be done with a 6 year old) More sight seeing around Sedona until we leave for the airport in the evening.

*Everytime we come to Sedona it's in February. Luckily, we haven't ever experienced snow or road closings. Saturdays weather looks okay so far, but could the storm hurt our chances of driving to the GC?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,164 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for next weekend, feedback welcome!

Here's a few thoughts...

Silver Saddle Room is an adults only dining room. Your 6 year old will not be allowed. You can get most of the same food in the Cowboy Club dining room, but less of an upscale service and atmosphere. You might want to plan somewhere else for your special occasion.

The long range forecast for next weekend has Sedona looking good, but more snow and rain for Flagstaff and above the rim on Sat and Sun. If you want to go to GCNP I'd do it on Friday. (weather permitting) The storms this weekend closed I-17 and 89A between Sedona and Flag. Had you gone up yesterday morning, you would still be there now.

Your Sunday is confusing. Are you thinking of taking a rental jeep up to Wupatki/Sunset Crater? You won't be off roading there. And why go all the way back up there, when you were just there the day before. If you intend to go off roading around Sedona, I'd reconsider, again due to weather. Schnebley Hill Road was seriously socked in yesterday for several hours. I expect that most dirt roads around Sedona are pretty messy right now. This of course could change by next weekend, but do stay flexible and have a plan B.

It looks like highs next weekend will be around 50 at best. You'll want to wear at least one outer layer.

HTH

Chicago
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for next weekend, feedback welcome!

Thanks so much for your response!

Oops. I was thinking kids we're not recommended in Silver Saddle, not that they are not allowed. Since you can't make reservatons in the Cowboy Club side, maybe we'll just go for an early dinner around 5:00 and hope to get seated. The kids will be tired from traveling anyway and I suppose I don't really care whuch dining room we eat in, just that I'm in Sedona drinking a Prickly Pear Margarita on my 40th birthday!

We can definetly change GC to Friday, we'll keep watching the weather.

Sorry wasn't clear about Sunday. We were going to do a trail or two in Sedona with the rental Jeep in the morning.. then we'll have the rest of the day free, so we were thinking of going back out towards sunset crater to sightsee? Maybe not....

That is bad news about the weather and the dirt roads. I think we can cancel the rental 24 hours in advance if the conditions are still bad. The Jeep rental people have excellent reviews so hopefully they will be clear with us about what we can expect if i call them once it gets closer. I don't want to waste money on a jeep rental if we can't even go anywhere with it!

50 degrees will feel tropical to us after this midwest winter! So excited!

Thanks again! We'll have to be flexible and have back up plans for sure!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,164 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for next weekend, feedback welcome!

Have a happy birthday! Sedona is surely a great place to celebrate.

I believe you can rely on information from Barlow jeep rentals. They are doing a good job with their business while being good stewards of the forest land.

4. Re: Itinerary for next weekend, feedback welcome!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 10:17