We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging advice for family

Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
218 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging advice for family

Our party of 7 (2 grandparents, 2 parents, 3 teens) will be visiting Sedona at the end of July and could use some lodging advice. We visited Sedona a few years ago and loved the town but hated our lodging choice (a tired Hilton that was quite far from Uptown Sedona-- the low point of a wonderful Arizona vacation in terms of lodging). Here's what we're looking for:

- Rooms with a patio or balcony with a great red rock view. Grandparents will relax there while we do some hiking.

- Something close to town (ideally within easy walking distance).

- Would love to find a place with a teen-friendly spa but this is lower on the priority list.

Any suggestions?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,113 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging advice for family

In Uptown look at BW Arroyo Robles, Matterhorn, Orchards and Amara. Also consider TS resorts there including Hyatt and Los Abrigados.

The Hilton has had some renovations and the road into town has been completely redesigned and rebuilt. You aren't going to find anything newer other than Sedona Rouge, in West Sedona, and not really a walk to town although close to groceries and service store shopping; or the newly renovated L'Auberge in Uptown.

You didn't mention a budget, so may L'Auberge is the place for you.

Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
218 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging advice for family

Thanks for the advice, RedRox. I've read so many of your forum entries while planning this trip and you are always very helpful! Orchards and BW Arroyo Robles look like the best fit for our family since Amara's recent reviews have been poor (under new management?) and the only L'Auberge rooms in our price range seem to have king beds, which doesn't work with kids. Both Orchards and BW are comparable in terms of price, and I was hoping I could impose on you for one more bit of advice:

My dad walks with a cane and really just enjoys sitting on a scenic balcony or poolside with a cup of coffee and a book. He'll join us on our Pink Jeep tour but will be hanging out at the hotel while we hike. He's able to walk moderate distances (like walking around the stores and restaurants in town) but does not handle steep inclines well. I remember a steep dropoff from the highway towards Oak Creek and was wondering if the BW property might be challenging for him. Do you know if there is parking right near the hotel lobby or near the rooms or if parking is above and then the hotel is a downhill walk? Also, are you familiar with the Arroyo North part of BW's property? It seems to have larger/nicer rooms but I can't quite tell how close it is to the rest of the property and don't want my dad to have to hike far on tricky terrain.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,113 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging advice for family

Orchards would be less desirable IMO as it is often a stay over place for bus tours. However, it is in the higher part of Uptown and it would be easier for your Dad to negotiate, BWAR requires a walk up hill on the sidewalk, just from the lobby front door. If you stay in the larger apartments that are also TS units they are down by the creek and demand a hike up to street level and beyond.

Parking is convenient for all units in both places so if Dad is getting into the car, it's not an issue.

4. Re: Lodging advice for family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 17:18