We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 quick questions

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
184 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
2 quick questions

1.Does anyone know a nice place to stop for lunch when driving from the Phoenix airport to Sedona?(No fast food please)

2. Are there steep drop offs on the road when driving from Sedona to GCNP? I did the trip about 15 years ago(wow how time flies!) and I think I remember being afraid of driving with the drop offs and no guard rails. Is my memory correct?

Thanks so much for your help. I'm almost done with planning the trip!

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
65,387 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 quick questions

Exit 242 on I-17 for Rock Springs Cafe is the logical place to stop for your lunch. It's a classic.

The drive from Sedona to GCNP climbs almost 3000 feet, A large percentage of that is in the 2 mile stretch of switchbacks on 89A in Oak Creek canyon. There are plenty of guard rails and only a couple of places where one can even see over an edge. Don't let it scare you.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
3,004 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 quick questions

Thanks RedRox-you are so helpful! I will look into Rock Springs Cafe. I just saw info regarding Javelina Cantina but I think I will follow your suggestion.Also, thanks for the info regarding the road-I feel better!

Mentioned in this post
Javelina Cantina
Javelina Cantina
2,328 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
65,387 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 quick questions

LOL. We were out to dinner on Monday with 2 other couples. One is new to Sedona and we were talking about Mexican restaurants in the area. We all agreed that Javelina Cantina is positively the WORST of them all with Oaxaca coming in a close second. Both of those places are only good at exploiting tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Javelina Cantina
Javelina Cantina
2,328 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 quick questions

Thank goodness I will not be one of them thanks to you!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 quick questions

Yes, do go to Rock Springs Cafe, and also have a slice of pie, or grab a whole one to go. Their lemon meringue and pecan are fantastic.

6. Re: 2 quick questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 01:16