We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids and Cathedral Rock: 1 week shy of 9 and 7 y.o. boys

Austin
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Kids and Cathedral Rock: 1 week shy of 9 and 7 y.o. boys

I have 2 adventurous boys who likes to rock climb indoors (never took them outdoors yet).... they are well-behave, so they'll know not to run around aimlessly.

Is Cathedral Rock too difficult?

What about for a 5 y.o adventurous girl who has rock-climbed indoors?

Do you have any other suggestions for hikes in Sedona? The boys especially likes the high climbs.... but as a mom, I am looking for a fun but safe hikes.

Thanks !!

Mentioned in this post
Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock
5,085 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,907 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids and Cathedral Rock: 1 week shy of 9 and 7 y.o. boys

Cathedral Rock is not a playground. I'd start with Bell Rock (you don't need to go to the top) and maybe Baby Bell (just to the north off Bell Rock Pathway). See how they manage and behave on those before taking them to Cathedral Rock.

First rules with my grand kids. No jumping and no running

Mentioned in this post
Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock
5,085 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
4,073 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Austin
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids and Cathedral Rock: 1 week shy of 9 and 7 y.o. boys

Thank you.... will try Bell Rock 1st, and if that goes well, will go for the Cathedral Rock the following day.

So, plan is:

(1) Bell Rock early AM Day 1

(2) Lunch

(3) Oak Creek Canyon

Then rest the remaining of the day.

Day 2:

(1) Cathedral Rock

Do able?

Oh, I wanted to go to the Devil's Bridge also, is this something I can fit in some where on day 1? Thx

Edited: 15 February 2011, 21:49
Mentioned in this post
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
4,073 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock
5,085 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,984 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,907 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids and Cathedral Rock: 1 week shy of 9 and 7 y.o. boys

Devils Bridge is on the opposite side of Sedona from Bell Rock and 179. It would probably be a better destination on day 2

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
4,073 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Austin
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids and Cathedral Rock: 1 week shy of 9 and 7 y.o. boys

Thanks RedRox!!! I do have one last question.

I've read that you play golf, and the latest golf post seem to be in Oct 2010. Can you tell me the updates of the courses?

Seven Canyons, Oak Creek and Sedona Golf Resort. I've read that Seven Canyons has a great view, and course is iffy due to financing. If you can only play one course, which would it be? If two courses during the trip, which would they be?

Thanks!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Seven Canyons
Seven Canyons
129 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Austin
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids and Cathedral Rock: 1 week shy of 9 and 7 y.o. boys

Scratch golf question... found your most recent response 02/04/11

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g31352-i168-k42192…

CT
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids and Cathedral Rock: 1 week shy of 9 and 7 y.o. boys

Bell Rock will be lots of fun for the boys. I did that hike on my last trip and loved it. Look for submarine rock a bit in the distance, that would be cool for you to point out to them. It is also a really nice lunch spot. Pack a picnic and enjoy. Just remember not to let them go past the last cairn because although you will see some people climbing even higher (of course I did and loved it) the trick is getting down plus the rock is rounded so there aren't a lot of toe notches.

They would also like Slide Rock park a lot too.

Mentioned in this post
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
4,073 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Austin
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids and Cathedral Rock: 1 week shy of 9 and 7 y.o. boys

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely be looking out for different rock shapes.

I was comptemplating West Fork Trail after Bell Rock or Slide Rock... but since it may still be chilly.... wonder which would be better for us between the 2 sites?

Getting excited to show the kids Sedona. I've visited there 3 times in the past pre-kids, but have always just visited one spot in the middle of Canyon Creek on one of the sit"able" rocks and talk until right before sunset. Loved it... but now that I am coming back... I realize I don' t know much of Sedona at all. The more I read, the more I find I'll have to visit Sedona more... or just move back to AZ.

Mentioned in this post
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
4,073 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids and Cathedral Rock: 1 week shy of 9 and 7 y.o. boys

If it is chilly, I'd skip Slide Rock and try a portion of West Fork instead. Even the start of West Fork is beautiful any time of year. There is plenty of easy hiking at Bell Rock. IMO Cathedral Rock is dangerous only if children are unsupervised or careless. A portion of Cathedral and perhaps continuing on Templeton trail, which intersects the Cathedral Trail, is also a nice option.

Mentioned in this post
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
4,073 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock
5,085 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
9. Re: Kids and Cathedral Rock: 1 week shy of 9 and 7 y.o. boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 19:18