We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SUV or convertible?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Reno
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
SUV or convertible?

We'll be staying in Sedona for a week in May. But we'll then be touring the state for a few days afterwards.

The only reason I am considering an SUV is for the off-roading activities around Sedona. And, even then, we would only be sticking to the main off-roads, if you know what I mean. We're in our 50's, so I know my wife won't tolerate a really rough terrain for long.

I need to know if it would be worth having the SUV for a couple of off-road days, while sacrificing the obvious advantages of a convertible for the rest of our trip? Or is it better to get the rag-top and just do a couple of Pink Jeep tours? Are some of the most popular trails OK for a coupe? Or would it normally be against the rental car contract?

Hope I covered all the bases here.

Thanks.

Edited: 13 February 2011, 02:42
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,063 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SUV or convertible?

If you take a rental SUV off of paved highways you'll be violating the contract. Leave the real off roading for the tours.

There's a great article in the new AZ Highways about how to properly go off road in AZ. It does not include rental SUVs

I'd opt fot the SUV for visibility. Pick the rag top for fun, but know that you won't have it down all the time. At night it will be way to chilly.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,060 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SUV or convertible?

Agree with RR about the off-roading info. Take a jeep tour; don't "off-road" on your own.

As for which to pick, DH and I always try to go with a convertible when we rent a car, but then again, we drive a big truck at home, so on vacation it's nice to drive something a little "sportier". I used to have a convertible when I was younger, and I'd drive it in the winter with the top down, the heater blasting, and a scarf on my head!

That said, I'm always in the minority here on TA on the convertible vs SUV issue. Most people who visit Arizona do opt for an SUV - like RR said, you have better visibility, and also a whole lot more storage.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,063 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SUV or convertible?

Just for the record, we own 2 SUVs (with sunroofs) and a Mustang GT convertible. got it all covered

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SUV or convertible?

Ha - RR - way to go!

You can't go wrong with a SUV or a convertible in Arizona. Personally I feel safer in a SUV (Acura MDX) - SUVs are not all built with the same safety features. You sit up higher and that's a plus with all the pick up trucks on the road in this state (you can see better and at night you don't have as many headlights blinding you in the rear view mirror) plus it's just built safer all the way around. If the only reason you're considering a SUV, however, it the off roading activities I'd give it a miss and opt for a Pink Jeep tour -Broken Arrow tour is the best. Safe travels!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SUV or convertible?

I also find a convertible to be a disadvantage when it comes to secure storage space as the trunk is much smaller in most cases. Otherwise, they are alot of fun.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 02:00
Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: SUV or convertible?

I'd go with the convertible.

(I also own two SUV's and a convertible).

Edited: 14 February 2011, 21:02
7. Re: SUV or convertible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2012, 11:16