We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 yr anniversary romantic surprise getaway

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
6 yr anniversary romantic surprise getaway

Thanks to RedRox who has been helpful already...

my questions include these:

For lodging, should I try a centrally located hotel w/ decent amenities since we plan on being out and about quite a bit OR book at the Lodge at Sedona which includes a wine tour package?? (Also up for suggestions of any B&B's/ hotels but many already booked.)

Which wine tour?? if book w/ the Lodge, the tour already handled. If not, there are 2 with tour company to choose from: 1 that does the 3 Sedona wineries, and another which goes to Jerome. Any preferences from experience???

Thirdly, Saturday evening Must-do's...notes are below to help my conundrum. Thanks in advance to those assisting an unexperienced Phoenician plan a getaway for the man she loves!

quick breakdown :

we are youthful couple in late 30's. Used to travel all over the world, recently moved to AZ and have a lovely little girl. Not much time for eachother as hubby travels all week for work and I am stay at home mommy. Grandparents coming town to watch our angel for the "big date", so I am aiming for a special surprise weekend of romance and laughter. Don't want TOO much scheduled fun, but a few great ideas and perfect place to stay is needed. Budget is mid range ($200ish per night lodging) and then splurges for dinners.

Arriving Friday afternoon hopefully 2ish...would like to visit the Chapel and maybe tout about the town center.

Dinner reservations at 8 at Dahl and DiLuca (yumm-thx for prior posted suggestions :-)

Saturday wine tour- Up for recommendations~~~~~there is a pkg w/Lodge of Sedona that is reasonable and includes the 3 wineries. There is also a separate booking available through a tour company that does the Jerome wineries. WHICH is best IYO???

Saturday night open to suggestions.

Sunday-will take in a hike and then leisurely drive home to reunite with DD after romantic weekend away with a super hubby.

As I am a "newby" to both posting onTripAdvisor as well as first timer to Sedona, any and all help is totally appreciated. Thanks!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: 6 yr anniversary romantic surprise getaway

Welcome to TA! I think your idea sounds wonderful. I've gotta run in a minute and don't have time to address all of your questions right now, but for starters:

Don't worry about joining a wine tour, IMHO. The Cornville winery area is not far from Sedona, and it's very small - it's not like Sonoma or Napa. Unless you plan on tasting A LOT of every single wine, you should be fine to drive there yourself. (Or, if you really wanted to go with a group, then find a tour.)

The Jerome Winery that a tour would go to is really just a wine shop, although they do sell their own wines. There are no vineyards or actual wineries in Jerome; the shop has vineyards in Southern Arizona . DH and I were actually quite disappointed with the tasting in Jerome, though - we love to chat about wine, but the person who was coordinating the tastings (relative of one of the owners, I believe) just acted cranky, as if she didn't want to be there, and certainly didn't want to chat about wine. I don't know if they have better staff now, though. We never went back to that wine store, and that was almost 3 years ago. (We prefer the restaurant Grapes in Jerome.)

IMHO, if you have the time, simply drive to Jerome yourself, wander around the town, and stop in at the Jerome Winery if you like. They do have a cute place, with a nice selection of merchandise. Also, if you do go to Jerome for part of a day, here's some ideas:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19808-Jerome_I…

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: 6 yr anniversary romantic surprise getaway

For lodging, I would find a nice B&B. They are definitely more romantic than a hotel, and there's usually no children at a B&B, which is a plus if it's "Mommy and Daddy's weekend. :)

There are lots of B&Bs in Sedona; look through the listings here on TA. (Don't worry too much about the ratings, though.) Here are a few favorites:

Inn on Oak Creek (don't get a room facing the road, get one that faces the creek. We like the Duck Pond room with fireplace and jacuzzi that has windows overlooking the creek.)

Canyon Villa B&B

Sedona Cathedral Hideaway

Las Posadas of Sedona

Let us know if you have other lodging questions. Almost forgot - the Inn on Oak Creek has been doing wine and food weekends, where you do a cooking class and make a 4 course dinner for each other, and they go to the wineries earlier in the day. Last time I checked, it was reasonably priced, incl lodging. You might call and ask them if they're doing this the weekend you'll be here.

Edited: 17 September 2010, 18:06
Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
3. Re: 6 yr anniversary romantic surprise getaway

Thank you SO much~ I truly appreciate the input. I will look into things further and get my trip booked. Let's talk wine sometime~ have a super weekend. I will stay in touch!

Phoenix, Arizona
3 posts
4. Re: 6 yr anniversary romantic surprise getaway

Another question:

Between Amara, the Lodge at Sedona, or Adobe Hacienda which would be a good fit for us IYO? many thx, I am plain worn out from reading reviews and all the different sites I am getting confused :-)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,173 posts
250 reviews
5. Re: 6 yr anniversary romantic surprise getaway

Amara is a hotel, not a B&B. It's newer, but reviews are mixed. I'd choose a B&B for romance and personal attention.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: 6 yr anniversary romantic surprise getaway

Of the three, I'd choose Adobe Hacienda. The Lodge at Sedona is not as nice as it looks in the photos, and the location is just ok. I'm not wild about the actual "look" of the Adobe Hacienda, but that's just personal preference. (I like an "authentic Southwest" style, which is more subdued. The Adobe Hacienda is more of a Mexican/Spanish feel, with bright colors, etc.)

I'd still suggest looking into the B&Bs mentioned above. It's hard to tell you what would be a good fit for you and your husband without more details, though. What type of place are you looking for? Do you want something more luxurious, or a bit more rustic? Do you like the Southwest look and feel, or do you want a "cabin in the woods"? Fireplace? Jacuzzi? Views of the red rocks, or views of the trees? Out in the middle of nowhere, or close to town? Will you be spending much time at the B&B just relaxing, or will you be sightseeing?

Also, just a tip on the TA reviews - take some of them with a grain of salt. Some places, unfortunately, post fake positive or negative reviews, but you can usually tell the difference. People with only one post are a bit suspect, as are people with reviews that are just too "glowing" to be believed. I also tend to ignore the reviews that just "hate" on an establishment without giving too many details of their stay. If you read enough of them, though, you can kind of get a feel.

For instance, in a number of reviews for the Lodge at Sedona, they mention how dark the rooms are, and the lack of privacy in certain rooms. That's because this is true.

On the other hand, the Inn on Oak Creek has one review that just blasts the Inn, and actually makes false claims about one of the rooms. I know this because I've stayed there, and I even asked the owners about that particular review.

At the top end of the spectrum for reviews is Canyon Villa - their reviews are almost all "5's", and for good reason. CV really does go out of their way to make their guest's stay wonderful. A number of us on TA have either stayed there, or had friends/family stay there, and everyone has loved it.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
386 reviews
7. Re: 6 yr anniversary romantic surprise getaway

mom2cherish

You're stressing over the room way too much. Remember it's not the setting that creates the romance, its the people. It's all about how you treat each other. Now relax, pick the place you can afford, and enjoy that guy of yours. Happy Anniversary! He will be so happy that you want this time together.

8. Re: 6 yr anniversary romantic surprise getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 September 2010, 21:11
Huron, Ohio
Level Contributor
174 posts
162 reviews
9. Re: 6 yr anniversary romantic surprise getaway

About the wine tour. Do it yourself!!! Just drive 20 minutes up 89A to Page Springs Road. There, you will find 3 wineries in a row, 2 on the left and one just beyond on the right. Javalina, Oak Creek, and Page Spring Cellars. My favorite is Page Springs Cellars. Nice view and walk down to the creek with your wine and listen to the water. They have nice cheese platters. I would make the trip to Jerome, depending on your time. It is a fun and interesting place and one of our favorites. Continue past Page Springs Cellars and you drive for about 8 minutes thru Cornville(very small and home of John McCain) and cut across 89A to Cottonwood/Jerome. On the way to Jerome is Cottonwood, should you go in the morning, stop in on historic Old Town in Cottonwood for a breakfast at the Old Town Cafe. A quick 5 minute detour for your. The best and I mean the best croissants (rated #1 in Frommer's in the USA). Excellent lattes and a major local hangout of many! Our favorite for breakfast! Yes, don't worry about the room. It is the area that is most important. You can e-mail me for anything you want. I can assist. Questions about food etc. let me know. Ask the hotel you choose to have wine put in the room! There are also day spas in the area etc. for great couple massages too!

10. Re: 6 yr anniversary romantic surprise getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 04:17