We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

difference in landscape north and south of Salta

Boston
5 posts
difference in landscape north and south of Salta

My husband I are planning a trip to Argentina for around 9 days in the beginning of March 07. We want to see BA and Iguacu, but also some of the interior. Salta seems very appealing. Question:What is the Calchaquies Valley and how is it different from the Huahuaca Gorge? How hot and rainy will it be at that time of year? (Fodors guidebook talks about washed out roads in summer.) Does the Gorge come before or after Purmamarca (heading out from Salta)? Purmamarca sounds very interesting (especially the Paso de Siete Colores), but so does Cayafate(in the opposite direction). We don't want to spend all our time in the car. We would probably stay 3 days - any itinerary ideas would be appreciated. We are upscale travelers. Also, what are the altitudes there? Can you see any of the Andes? Would we be better off going to Mendoza or Corboda instead at that time of year?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
96 reviews
1. Re: difference in landscape north and south of Salta

On the risk of taking this rather off topic... I would ask you if you are at all interested in Wines? I do this because I find that both landscapes are well worth visiting... but, if you guys are wine lovers I suggest you do the Calchaquies because you will be able to hit a few wineries. If you are looking for a high end place to stay, then look at staying at Colome.

Level Contributor
207 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: difference in landscape north and south of Salta

This is a trip report I wrote of our trip to the Salta area for one week: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312811-i7636-k681… . We were there in June. There is someone from Salta who is a tour guide there called Giena, and she posts here frequently. The estancia we stayed at arranges tours, and if you look at their website, you will find tour information there. www.turismoelbordo.com.ar/programas.php?ln=1 This might help you decide what you want to do. If you go south to Cafayate, the Patios de Cafayate was stunning.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: difference in landscape north and south of Salta

Dear Barnard: Cafayate is locates 187 kms south of Salta city, in an area which ia called Calchaquies VAlleys. This is the area between La Poma and Tafi del Valle in Tucuman and Santa MAria ein Catamarca. Cafayate is a town at the end of the Shell Gorge, where we find most of the rock formations. It is also well-known for tis wines, especially the unique torrontes wine. One day tous could be done to Cafayate stopping in most of the panoramic places for a picture.

Purmamarca: It is about 200 kms from SAlta to the north, it belongs to the gorge which is known as Quebrada de Humahuaca, recently declared "World Heritage" by UNESCO. Maimara, Tilcara, Uquia and Humahuaca are also part of this area. If you overnight in Purmamarca ( what you will love!) you can also take the route to the Salt Flats passing through the highest point 4170 mts ( 12,500 ft). The altitude will not affect you in a car but is a truck . Vicuñas and guanacos are seen in that area ( some kind of american camels) ...

The NW offers you a wide possibility of sceneries and they all are different. I am confident you will pleased to come and see how beautiful The 7 colour mountains is. No picture makes any justice to it.

Any other questions? Please feel free to ask anything.

Giena

Montreal
Level Contributor
89 posts
4. Re: difference in landscape north and south of Salta

we will be visiting Salta in two weeks, staying at House of Jasmines. I'm sure I'll be able to answer some of your questions once I'm there!

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: difference in landscape north and south of Salta

Itinerary suggested:

Take one day to visit Cafayate ....the wine area, starting at 8:30 you can return at about 7 p.m.

And two days for the Northern area, one days the gorge,staying one night in Purmamarca and the next day seethe Salt Flats. These are the MOST, do not miss them.

And at least one day for the city...

I am confident you will love this short time in Salta but if you can stay more you can alsosee Cachi.

Warm regards.

Angie

6. Re: difference in landscape north and south of Salta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 23:20