We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent-a-car in Salta

italia
Level Contributor
203 posts
100 reviews
Rent-a-car in Salta

Hi everybody,

I'm going to rent a car in Salta next August, for 10 days.

I wrote to all the rent a car I found on the web, and everyone was very quick and professional in replying. So, I don't know which one I have to choose.

Any suggestion? Can you recommend a rent-a-car you personnally tried, or do you have a bad one to NOT recommend?

Thank you in advance (sorry for my bad English)

61 replies to this topic
Fayetteville
Level Contributor
249 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Rent-a-car in Salta

We recently returned from a 10 day auto rental in Salta. We used Europcar. There were no problems with our rental however others have reported problems using Europcar. I have seen negative posts concerning Eurocar so you may wish to stay away from them. I suggest you use the search feature to get some background. I am sure you will enjoy the Salta area. Good luck.

When we rented we noticed lower prices from rentals in the city vs. the airport. There are probably additional taxes on airport rentals. Taxi to the city is about 40 pesos.

Rich

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
2. Re: Rent-a-car in Salta

We also rented from Europcar and were satisfied with them.

Rented through our accommodation (Carpe Diem) and got a very interesting price (with free pick up/ drop off from the B&B)

See for more information: …virtualtourist.com/vt/tfr/1/877/9/1f5cba/

happy travels

Jaap

Fayetteville
Level Contributor
249 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Rent-a-car in Salta

Jaap, we rented Europcar as a result of your recommendation. We also planned much of our trip based on your advice. Thanks.

Edited: 31 March 2011, 14:15
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Rent-a-car in Salta

Hello frederica d'Italia,

My husband and I rented a car from marina-semisa.com.ar in Salta - 2010.

Federico = federico@marina-semisa.com.ar was the man who took very good care of us. He brought the car to our B&B in Salta and we returned it to him at the Salta airport. The car was in fine condition, the service was excellent. It was recommended to us by the owners of our Inn in Salta, El Lagar (which I recommend also)

El Lagar - Salta

20 de Febrero 877 CP: 4400

Tel / Fax: 00 54 387 431 94 39 / 421 79 43

e-mail: ellagar@arnetbiz.com.ar

My husband has many relatives in Italy and Sicily, so we have rented cars there many times...the experience with Federico was among the best we have ever had in car rental in a foreign country.

Have a wonderful time in the NorthWest. Ciao.

~Marnie

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
890 reviews
5. Re: Rent-a-car in Salta

We just returned from 8 days in NOA and rented a car for 6 full days from the Avis Downtown office.(caseros 420).

We rented a Category B.......one step up from the bottom and our Ford Fiesta was terrific. NO problem. It was in great condition and we returned it the same way. Augustyn (sp) probably answered your e-mail. He's the only one who speaks English at Avis.

price-wise.....who knows? I was driving myself crazy, because car rental is SO expensive in Argentina. We also took the addt'l CDW at 34 pesos/day extra. i was not willing to be "nickel and dimed" when i returned the car.

A very positive experience.

Salta
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Rent-a-car in Salta

Almost all the cowboy rental agencies in Salta will nickel and dime which is why it is often safer to go with one of the big three - all have offices on Caseros with a couple of blocks of each other.

I used to recommend Autos Argentinos but he showed up with an old banger (not as reserved) 5 hours late then the next time cancelled at the last minute after a reservation made three months in advance.

ASIS cars is certainly to be avoided - they presented clients with a car with a huge dent in the front. On the road there were SEVEN flat tires because they never removed the nails and sharp stones that are constantly buried in tires.

The big agencies check their cars to avoid this problem

italia
Level Contributor
203 posts
100 reviews
7. Re: Rent-a-car in Salta

Thanks very much to everybody, this weekend I'll try to decide which is the best option, following your suggestions, and I'll let you know!

Do you think I need to reserve the car quickly? I will travel in August.

Thanks again from Italy :-)

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
890 reviews
8. Re: Rent-a-car in Salta

My instincts say you don't have to reserve a car quickly !

Someone else may have another opinion, but it seems to me that if you reserve by the end of June, beginning of July, you will be just fine.

I'll be posting my recent trip to NOA in the next few days.....so look for it.

Washington DC...
1 post
1 review
9. Re: Rent-a-car in Salta

DO NOT rent from "LEAD RENT A CAR" in Salta! They have cheap prices but they will scam you with BS charges after you return the car. A week after we returned the car they claimed that they had to repair a wheel and buy a new tire. I asked for a receipt of their expenses (new tire, etc). Another 10 days later they emailed me a hand written receipt dated 10 days after they claimed to have performed the fixes. Complete scam.

italia
Level Contributor
203 posts
100 reviews
10. Re: Rent-a-car in Salta

Thank you very much! LEAD was one of the agents I had in my list, and it was cheap.

The lowest rate I found is AVIS (pre-paid online), but I'm still waiting for some answers. We also need the paper to cross Chilean border and it's expensive (150 US dollars) so the expense rise (Except for Avis that provides it without charge)

An other option is renting not directly from a rent a car but from a travel agent. He's italian and he's highly recommended on Italian magazines. I think it can be a good option to avoid hidden costs, especially beacause the rate they offered us is low.

I'll try to take a decision the weekend.

Thanks everybody!

Reply to: Rent-a-car in Salta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted