We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help! 7 day itinerary with 2 kids

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Please help! 7 day itinerary with 2 kids

We would REALLY appreciate advice on our NW itinerary, as we’re struggling to work out what's practical with our 2 kids (8 & 11).

We have 7 days in the region and would like to see the North (Purmamarca and Salinas Grandes etc) as well as the Cafayate but don’t want to spend huge chunks of time driving. How would you recommend we do this? I.e. We plan on staying in Salta, Purmamarca and Cafayate but where else is worth stopping for the night that is interesting and would help us break up our drives? Cachi? Other?

And what route would help us achieve this and see as much as possible, whilst minimising drive time? (I know I'm asking for the impossible).

Many many thanks 🙏🙏

4 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
293 reviews
1. Re: Please help! 7 day itinerary with 2 kids

There are several ways you could approach this. There is no way of avoiding that fact that there is a fair amount of driving involved but there is so much to see along the way that there will be lot of opportunities to stop along the way to break it up a bit.

I would suggest breaking up the trip into two parts with a break back in Salta in between. It doesn’t really matter which part comes first but say:

Part 1

Salta to Cachi via Parque de Los Cardones. Overnight in Cachi. probably 3 hours driving.

Cachi to Cafayate along Ruta 40. Say 4 hours driving in total but a few stops along the way will break up the journey. Molinos is very pretty, the Quebrada de las Flechas is spectacular. Cafayate is a pleasant town and is worth a couple of nights. There is a goat farm on the outskirts of the town which I and sure the kids will love (check the times for the tours). Some interesting rock formations to visit on tendrive back to Salta (3 hrs).

Part 2

I would probably drive to Purmamarca and stay a couple of nights there ( to avoid packing and unpacking etc.) and use it a base to visit the Salinas Grande ( maybe for sunset), Huamhuaca and Tilcara. The last two are an easy drive from Purmamarca.

Some photo and a little more detail on our time in the region can be found on our blog @ https:/…

I think you have the right idea to stay in the places you have listed, but clearly you need to make sure that there is suitable accommodation for travelling with the children in those places which may influence your choice. .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Please help! 7 day itinerary with 2 kids

Thank you so much! This is a very helpful response! 🙏

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Please help! 7 day itinerary with 2 kids

Visiting this area with two kids is great as they will are motivated to enjoy the sceneries.

Every single place is a challenge for kids.

Angie/Giena

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Please help! 7 day itinerary with 2 kids

Even without children we like staying in places where we can do our own cooking (food shopping is great and fresh). On our forthcoming trip to NW Argentina, we managed to secure such accommodation for a good price. Plenty of high-end boutique hotels and homes/apartments charging several hundred dollars a night in Cafayate but cheaper places are more limited.

Edited: 27 August 2018, 00:46
Reply to: Please help! 7 day itinerary with 2 kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted