We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain in Salta, late November... is rain a bad thing there?

illinois
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
Rain in Salta, late November... is rain a bad thing there?

Maybe this is a silly question, but...

I am considering visiting Salta in late November, either via bus or plane from Buenos Aires..

My flights to BA are already booked, so this is the only time of year I have available to visit...

I keep seeing posts and comments about rain in Salta during the summer, and when I checked the long-term forecast (which, yes, I know, is likely to change) it is predicted to storm, mixed with sunshine on a lot of days. At first, I just assumed maybe it was like Florida weather here in the USA, and it's hot with a quick afternoon shower or storm...

But then I see posts on this forum and elsewhere about the rain there, and there seems to be this undertone of natural disaster attached to it.

Or are people just wanting to avoid rain on their vacation altogether?

So, which is it? Are there flash floods or really violent thunder storms there in summer to be avoided; or is it just a matter of afternoon showers, or a quick storm here and there...

We wouldn't have a car and plan to book some day tours to the surrounding area and/or take local buses.

Thanks.

(Oh, and we're fine with the heat, I've been to Seville, Spain in summer, and southern Florida in summer - and we were fine with it. We're fine with an occasional shower or passing storm, as well.)

6 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
289 reviews
1. Re: Rain in Salta, late November... is rain a bad thing there?

I gave up long ago trying to predict the weather anywhere in the world! That said, we have visited Salta province a couple of times in November and had great weather - clear blue skies and no rain (although I am sure it does rain at times). Temperature were generally in the late 20s centigrade although colder at night in some areas (especially those places at altitude).

illinois
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Rain in Salta, late November... is rain a bad thing there?

Oh, high 20s C is not bad at all! That's perfect, actually.

Other factors of my trip require I backtrack to Buenos Aires, so I'm either flying there r/t from BA; or I'm going to Mendoza instead.

I'm wondering if I can take a bus to Cordoba, then to Salta, then fly back to BA?

Salta and the surrounding area just looks really beautiful and there seem to be a lot of things to do.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
933 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Rain in Salta, late November... is rain a bad thing there?

You can certainly take a bus to Córdoba and Salta and fly back. I did the opposite a few years ago. Taking a bus is a great way to see the country but it does tend to look very similar on the return trip so I use this technique a lot. Córdoba to Salta is a longer bus ride than I personally would want to do in one day if I did not have to. You could stop in Santiago del Estero or San Miguel de Tucumán, both moderately interesting cities.

Tucumán is interesting because it depends on two industries that are not naturally competitive and thus have to be heavily subsidized: sugar and citrus (mostly lemons). So if the subsidies ever go away, this place is in deep doo doo.

If you look at a bag of ground coffee in Argentina, any brand, the ingredients will say: Coffee, Sugar. By law, all ground coffee in Argentina contains 10% sugar and this is solely to prop up Tucumán, Argentina's smallest province.

illinois
Level Contributor
199 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Rain in Salta, late November... is rain a bad thing there?

Thanks for the info, Jackson. I think if we do the bus we will see if there is one for overnight and book a full reclining sleeper seat.

Thanks for the suggestion of stopping in Tucumán, though - I'll look into it.

Is it more expensive to fly one-way than r/t?

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
289 reviews
5. Re: Rain in Salta, late November... is rain a bad thing there?

Definitely book a Cama/Suite/Ejecutivo seat on an overnight bus.Definitely worth the extra for the space and fully reclining seat. Córdoba is about the mid way point between BA and Salta so would make a good place to break the trip. Otherwise it is a 20+ hour trip.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Rain in Salta, late November... is rain a bad thing there?

Dear Bianca; you have nothing to worry about, the rains in late November might be, but like a half an hour shower and then you can see the sunshine again. If you are in town a flood is possible in an afternoon but if you are not driving in downtown you will be ok. If you are, get into the first parking place and wait until the rain stopped and water drained. Do not panic. The weather is usually fantastic. But as I told you, nothing to worry about.

Warm regards,

Angie//Giena

Reply to: Rain in Salta, late November... is rain a bad thing there?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted