We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purmamarca tour or self drive.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
75 reviews
Purmamarca tour or self drive.

Is it better to get a tour through the salt plains and on to Purmamarca or to self drive?

5 replies to this topic
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Purmamarca tour or self drive.

Depends on how much time you have, whether you want to drive at high altitudes (up to 4,000 metres or 12,000 ft), you can share driving (esp one of you gets altitude sickness - nosea, splitting headache etc) and whether you want to do detours etc.

Edited: 24 August 2018, 22:48
Munich
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Purmamarca tour or self drive.

How many days??

We always did it self driving.

Beate

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
289 reviews
3. Re: Purmamarca tour or self drive.

A little more information would be helpful.

How many days do you have for the area? Where are you travelling to and from.

Personally, I prefer the self drive option which pretty much means starting in and returning to Salta as one way rentals are difficult to arrange. The driving is not difficult but altitudes around 3400m asl and even higher in some places, , most cars (and people) will struggle. That said, we managed ok in a small Renault Clio. For individuals, the effects of altitude are usually felt most at night. If spending the night in say Purmamarca, that is below the altitude which is likely to be a problem.

Other options would be some form of tour which means travelling at someone else’s pace. In this area the scenery is spectacular and there is a lot to see, stop and stare at and this may not the best way of getting the most out of the area. A private guide/driver is an option but will likely be significantly more expensive. You would however, have the luxury of travelling at your own pace and have someone else doing the driving and could also do a one way trip if, for example, you wanted to go on to San Pedro de Atacama.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Purmamarca tour or self drive.

In my opinion, if your time is limited, to have a driver is the best. But of course, if you decide to drive yourself you can count with my advise the time of the year it happens.

AngieGiena

edinburgh
Level Contributor
222 posts
443 reviews
5. Re: Purmamarca tour or self drive.

HI sorry for the hijack but we are driving ourselves and Salta to Purmamarca and staying there two nights so we have a full day to drive around post the drive from Salta. Can anyone advise on altitude sickness as note this is referred to in this post?

Also in one day I assume we will be able to get a good feel for the scenery etc. and see quite a lot but any guidance on specific routes on a round trip back to Purmamarca would be great.

Thanks

Reply to: Purmamarca tour or self drive.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted