We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia

Level Contributor
15 posts
Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia

After Iguazú we are planning to fly to salta before eventually crossing the border and starting a salt flats tour in tupiza. We won't have the budget for a car or private tour but want to see as much as possible in northern Argentina. I also know this isn't enough time to see everything (or even that much)

but we are thinking of spending 4 days in the region. I know it's a logistical nightmare without a car but I'd like to see the 14 color mountain.

Does this itinerary make sense? Also if we are north of salts (in Humahuaca) can we catch the bus to border from there or do we need to return to Salta? Thanks so much for any and all help!

Day one arrive salta - see the city of Salta

Day two - day tour with tastil to Cafayate (though I can't seem to find pricing).

Day three - bus to purmamarca and see the town and seven colors. Stay in purmarca.

Day four taxi to Tilcara? And then get a tour to Humahuaca? Ask to be dropped there and stay the night there? Sleep in humahuaca.

Catch the bus to the border from Humahuaca?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

11 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
289 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia

We have done several trips in NW Argentina but always by rental car. We have also done a couple of tours of Salar de Uyuni from Tupiza lots of details and photos in the relevant country sections of our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com .

We got the bus down from La Quiaca and, as I recall one time we had to change in JuyJuy, the other it went straight through. People we getting off in both Huamhuaca and Purmamarca but Purmamarca seemed be more of a centre, so I imagine it would be possible to get the bus from either of those places too. If you can’t get anything online, te bus station in Salta is your best bet. We found the timetables to be a rough guide only, so you may have a bit of hanging around.

Can really help with the logistics of getting around buy bus, but it should be possible, other seem to managing ok. The problem with doing this by bus is that there is lot to see in between the various towns.

On your last day, I would strongly recommend leaving early for the border so as to get to Tupiza befor nightfall. The border crossing is pretty chaotic to put it mildly. Once over the bridge to Villazon you will need to find the share taxis to Tupiza . About a two hour journey.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia

If I were you,

Day 1, city tour.

Day 2; forget Tastil, you can get a regular tour at any TA in Salta.

Day 3; Salta - Jujuy - Jujuy - Purmamarca by bus. I would better spend a night in Purmamarca.

Day 4: Purmamarca - Tilcara - then in the afternoon to Humahuaca -

If you want to see the 1 colour mountains you have to do it in the afternoon and if you stop in Tilcara your time will be reduced, so , choose or the Indian Ruins... or the colourful mountains.

next day take the bus to La Quiaca.

Warm regards,

Angie/Giena

Level Contributor
15 posts
3. Re: Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia

Thank you both for the advice! I know some of this we'll need to just figure out on the ground but appreciate the help!

3 posts
4. Re: Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia

I'm planning on doing this same route. Any updates on the best way to Tupiza from Salta in about 4 days?

Is it

Day 1 - Salta

Day 2 - Bus to Jujuy/Purmamarca

Day 3 - Bus to Tilcara

Day 4 - Bus to Humahuaca

Day 5 - Bus to Tupiza?

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
289 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia

Looks fine to me although Tilcara and Purmamarca are not far from each other so you could easily just stay in one if you wanted to spend a couple of nights somewhere and just do an excursion to the other.

Some of the buses we used ( going in the opposite direction) required a change in Jujuy, although no one told us until it happened!

There is no direct bus to Tupiza, at least there wasn’t last time I went. You need get the bus to La Quica get off at the bus station and walk the 15 mins of so to the border crossing on the bridge. The border crossing is usually chaotic so make sure you get stamped out of Argentina and into Bolivia. We met a lot of people who missed the Bolivian immigration and had to get there papers sorted at a police station. Check you stamps and dates when issued.

Once across into Villazon there are lots of cambios to get cash, but with the current economic crisis in Argentina I would try to spend any pesos before leaving. A taxi to Tupiza is not that expensive and even cheaper if you can get a shared taxi. Taxis take around 90 mins a bus a bit longer plus waiting time.

3 posts
6. Re: Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia

Thanks for the reply that's a great help! Do you recommend touring Purmamarca, Tilcara and Humamarca by local bus transport or joining a one day bus tour?

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
289 reviews
7. Re: Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia

You are welcome. I can’t really help with that decision as i have only ever travelled the region by rented car. However, a tour would no doubt stop at the various places of interest, viewpoints etc. that a public bus will just pass by. I guess a lot will depend on what/ where is covered by the individual tour.

Level Contributor
15 posts
8. Re: Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia

Fwiw we just used buses to get around and it was totally fine. The tours looked to try to do too much in too little time for us (but that's just our take I'm sure

they'd be nice - we just did calafayte from salts which was too much driving). We stayed in Villazón which was nice but not a ton going on outside of the market and Pena bars.

If you are american and crossing the border on foot I'd recommend trying the salta or juyjuy consulate to get the visa in advance. Otherwise I can tell you everything we had and what the bolivian border team needed. We took a taxi to Tupiza and would reccoemend it - wasn't expensive and made life easier?

3 posts
9. Re: Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia

Thanks Michael, I'm from Australia and understand a visa is not required. What documents do we need to present at the border?

2 posts
1 review
10. Re: Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia

Thanks Michael! I am American and was indeed planning to get the visa at the border. Can you tell me what documents were needed? I'm open to getting it at the Salta consulate instead if you think that's wise.

Reply to: Itinerary Help Salta ending in Bolivia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted