We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's your favourite beach within a 30min drive of Burgau?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
What's your favourite beach within a 30min drive of Burgau?

Will be arriving for our first visit later this month.

What types of beaches we love:

We love the beaches in the Algarve and in particular long beaches where one can walk by the water's edge back and forth for a long time safely (possibly while leaving one's belongings (nothing of value) on beach chairs. Busy beaches with bars aren't our choice but it'd be nice to have toilets and a place to get cold drinks but can bring our own food, too, if necessary.

What is YOUR favourite beach?

It's not our first visit. We were in Lagos for 3 weeks before and loved it! We don't mind having to pay for beach chairs and umbrellas as we appreciate that the cost of beach cleaning and mainentance is important and these costs must be shared by all users. We will have a car and know not to leave valuables in the car.

Many thanks for your responses! :)

8 replies to this topic
Dorset
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: What's your favourite beach within a 30min drive of Burgau?

Martinhal Beach near Sagres may suit. Can be very windy and popular with windsurfers. Two restaurants at the back of the beach with toilets. The upmarket and popular with young familes Martinhal Beach Resort is behind as are some very nice villas. Nortada is my favourite restaurant and there is lots of parking BUT in August it will be packed so need to get there early. The Portuguese will be on holiday and you will have difficulty finding any beaches which aren’t busy.

Driving up the west coast from Vila do Bispo towards Aljezur there are several beaches well off tbe beaten track but these will also be packed. Drive further on up to Odeceixe which has a great beach. Go early!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: What's your favourite beach within a 30min drive of Burgau?

Thanks so much for the advice. Yes, we're early starters and don't mind hitting the road for exploring early...our local beaches here are beautiful but the water is Baltic!

I'll definitely try out your recommendations and get back to you after. We cannot wait and are really looking forward to the trip!

Skelmersdale...
Level Contributor
319 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: What's your favourite beach within a 30min drive of Burgau?

We have been to martinhel today. Very windy but beautiful. Also drove to a few other beaches in Sagres and the town centre. Such a nice place x

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
520 reviews
4. Re: What's your favourite beach within a 30min drive of Burgau?

The best longest beaches are those a few minutes drive north of Vila do Bispo, but these maybe just over 30 minutes or head to Meia Praia in Lagos.

Smaller beaches I like include Furnas and Figueira (no facilities) or Zavial - part has sun beds and there is one beach cafe. I always look at the wind strength and direction, which influences which beach I head to, wanting one that offers some protection from blowing sand.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: What's your favourite beach within a 30min drive of Burgau?

madmand and lbj17 I've taken down those suggestions and have put them on my Google My Maps for the trip. I will download it offline so I can still see it if we lose connection over there. Yep, not so pleasant when the wind is whipping sand into your face!!

Really looking forward to it now! Woo hoo! :)

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
141 reviews
6. Re: What's your favourite beach within a 30min drive of Burgau?

Salema beach is just next door and is lovely. Village of Salema with lots of facilities in the centre and even real dinosaurs footprints. Only about a mile long but superb.

Dorset
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
46 reviews
7. Re: What's your favourite beach within a 30min drive of Burgau?

Salema is lovely but in August it will be exceedingly busy, which the OP doesn't want.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: What's your favourite beach within a 30min drive of Burgau?

Thanks, we're there (hopefully, all things going well with RyanAir) for 10 days so I'm sure we'll try lots of beaches! There's crowded and then there's these: https:/…crowded-beaches-world

Reply to: What's your favourite beach within a 30min drive of Burgau?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Burgau
More Burgau Topics