We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter rides at Arossim Beach - Cansaulim

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
1,561 reviews
Helicopter rides at Arossim Beach - Cansaulim

Goa Tourism launches helicopter joy rides with effect from Monday the 15th of February. It is run by Goa Tourism and Pawan Hans Ltd. 

The first heli joy rides took place on Sunday 14th February, St Valentine's Day.

The cost of the tickets is RS3,500 per person (approximately £35) for a 10 minute ride. It commences at Park Hyatt Hotel then proceeds along the coast, past Arossim, Utorda, Majorda, Gonsua, Sunset beaches towards Colva and beyond.

We have not been on one of the flights, which would be a great experience but it's  certainly not a great experience for the people using the beaches below. Having experienced the flights going past on the 14th Feb, they were noisy, disruptive and unpleasant. It was relentless, flights were up and down constantly. Cannot envisage that it is peaceful and quiet for the guests at the Park Hyatt Hotel. We would be demanding to be moved to a different hotel had we been spending our well earned holiday in a hotel with that racket going on

The residents of the local villages are most unhappy about this, I am sure other tourists in the flight path will not be too pleased, positive that this will have an adverse affect on beach life and tourism. Can envisage health and safety issues with these low flying craft and the parachutes used in the water sports along this stretch of beaches.

The daily flights will take place between the hours of 12.00 and 16.30. Tickets are available from Goa Tourism Central Reservation Office www.goa-tourism.com or telephone 91 832 2438831. Tickets also available at the venue

It was reported in The Herald that a Tourism Minister did not consider this a noise pollution issue, not sure from where this decision was made, it certainly was not on the stretch of beach involved.

57 replies to this topic
Devon, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
1,561 reviews
51. Re: Helicopter rides at Arossim Beach - Cansaulim

Eddy004 and Panda thank you for your updates. Unfortunately, I am no longer in Goa to add any updates but I am pleased to see that the pressure is being maintained on Goa Tourism (GT).

GT don't give a toss where visitors come from as long as the money continues to pour in by whatever means.

Benaulim, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
52. Re: Helicopter rides at Arossim Beach - Cansaulim

Hi David, and Forum

A local wrote in to the Herald 14.03.2016 saying that the helicopter rides were an accident waiting to happen, and, the following day, a Russian-sounding person wrote in drawing attention to Pawan Hans's safety record, which, if they are to be believed, is none too bright:-

"Carnage

I refer to Mr Frank Lemos's letter entitled "A Disaster in Waiting" ( March 14), which I wholeheartedly endorse. The helicopter joyride operator chosen by Goa Tourism has been involved in 6 incidents September, 2004, till date, the most recent being August, 2015, costing 31 lives lost and 2 life changing injuries, including one who fell out of the helicopter from 10,000 feet.

The death toll was so high that, following the death of the Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh and five others, their operations in the North Eastern states were suspended. How many highend tourists will have to plummet to their deaths before heli-tourism is given up as a bad job?

V Tishchenko, by e-mail"

Pawan Hans have said that they only want to break-even, this Season, but, maybe, having helicopters and pilots sitting idle, for a lot of the time, will not be economically viable, and, in retrospect, the whole thing will have been shown to be a One Season Wonder!

London
Level Contributor
139 posts
41 reviews
53. Re: Helicopter rides at Arossim Beach - Cansaulim

I just got back from staying at the Park Hyatt. Helicopter rides departed daily from the grounds just behind Palms restaurant, so very close to the beach. We could hear them by the adult pool (furthest from the beach) but they mostly were not too intrusive there apart from one day when there seemed to be quite a few trips. I imagine that the disruption by the beach was more noticeable and we did smell some fumes. The local taxi drivers were obviously not happy when we mentioned the helicopter to them and we did tell the hotel directly that we didn't consider their presence a positive aspect of our stay.

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
58 reviews
54. Re: Helicopter rides at Arossim Beach - Cansaulim

Thanks for that Lentil. It would have been good though if you had remarked that it is not impressive to have these £35 rides. More actually with the rupee rate at the moment.

Maybe if they do their sums the little they make does not make up for guests voting with their feet and not returning.

I left Goa yesterday but on the beach for a last couple of hours on Sunday was disturbed yet again with 2 flights.

1 post
55. Re: Helicopter rides at Arossim Beach - Cansaulim

Bookings of helicopter rides

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
18,053 posts
106 reviews
56. Re: Helicopter rides at Arossim Beach - Cansaulim

Tanmai k

Are you asking question?

If so, you should give more details, because nobody can comment on the basis of your comments in post #55.

Thank you so much.......

57. Re: Helicopter rides at Arossim Beach - Cansaulim

Hi I want ride Mahesh jadhav

Reply to: Helicopter rides at Arossim Beach - Cansaulim
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cansaulim
Recent Conversations