We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving at Night to Restaurants in Hazyview

Auburn...
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews

Jul 09, 2016, 9:28 PM

I know there are a few decent restaurants in the area, can someone advise how to get to them for an evening meal? I know it is not good to drive at night, is areas of Hazyview okay at night?

We are staying at Kruger Park lodge and can eat there or at our accommodation, but we would like to go out once or twice, perhaps to Pioneers and Summerfields.

Thanks,

Kathy

Edited: 9:31 pm, today

7 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
1 review
1. Re: Driving at Night to Restaurants in Hazyview

I would avoid pioneers and hit up summerfields! food and service are amazing. Summerfields is a bit out of town, but I have driven it a few times and not had any issues.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Driving at Night to Restaurants in Hazyview

This "do not drive at night" mantra is over the top. Of course we drive at night, and live to tell the tale.

Basically, just be extra vigilant at night. Drive slower, watch out for pedestrians in dark clothing, animals, vehiles without lights, etc. And know exactly where you are going (maybe check out the route in day time) because you don't want to go asking for instructions at night time.

Probably the same logic as in your own home town . . . . .

Ireland
Level Contributor
450 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Driving at Night to Restaurants in Hazyview

We loved Pioneers and drove there from BlueJay Lodge ( highly recommended). Summer fields is better for a lazy lunch down by the river. We drove each night and were not one bit worried. Go for it!

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Driving at Night to Restaurants in Hazyview

Not sure why one should avoid Pioneer's. Very good food and safe to get there.

Summefields has got an all new menu. Ask them for information.

Driving there is fine, just watch out for hippos on the Sabie Road, at night.

Klaus

-Abangane-

Hazyview

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
183 reviews
5. Re: Driving at Night to Restaurants in Hazyview

Just been at bambuu lakeside lodge hazyview drove into hazyview every night ate at both pioneers and kuka no problem never felt "in danger" just watch your speed and the potholes

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,634 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Driving at Night to Restaurants in Hazyview

Thanks to all who posted their positive comments in this thread.

I do sometimes advise against driving at night, but I am speaking about bad and unlighted roads - pedestrians you might not see in time - trying to get somewhere in an unfamiliar town after nightfall - drunk drivers..

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Driving at Night to Restaurants in Hazyview

We had a night drive booked which meant driviing in the dark from Sabie Sun Resort to Phabeni Gate . several regulars on this forum and the Sanparks Kruger forum said that it wouldnt be their choice. The drive was cancellef so we never did find out if the drive would be problematic . One night we drove from sabie sun to hippo hollow with no issues

Reply to: Driving at Night to Restaurants in Hazyview
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hazyview