We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something to do outside of Joburg

Germany
Level Contributor
138 posts
113 reviews
Something to do outside of Joburg

Hi there,

we are going to be in Joburg at the beginning of February and have 3 days with nothing planned as yet. We don't want to make the drive to the Kruger Park, as our flight on the last day leaves quite early and don't want to have to drive 6+ hours. So, we are looking for somewhere nice to stay outside of Joburg, but not the Pilanesberg area as we don't want to go game viewing. Is there a nice lodge or hotel someone can recommend max. 4 hours drive out of Johannesburg?

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
1. Re: Something to do outside of Joburg

Google "Walkersons" , just outside of Dullstroom on the R540, on the way to Lydenburg

About 270 km from OR Tambo International ( around 3 to 3.5 hours drive)

https://www.walkersons.co.za

Phone: 013 253 7000

In an 800-hectare estate, this resort hotel is 16.9 km from the town of Dullstroom and 20.2 km from the Verloren Valei Nature Reserve.

Rustic-chic suites come with fireplaces, flat-screen TVs and sleek modern bathrooms, as well as minibars and tea/coffeemaking equipment. All have patios with lake or mountain views, and some have kitchenettes. There are also 3 cosy cottages with kitchens.

Rates include breakfast and dinner for hotel guests. There are fishing lakes and hiking paths as well as an air strip and a helipad. Other amenities include a pool, a fitness room and an elegant spa, plus conference and wedding facilities.

Please note, I have no connection to Walkersons, and I have not stayed there myself.

I have taken people there several times, and it looks very nice, in a great setting.

Germany
Level Contributor
138 posts
113 reviews
2. Re: Something to do outside of Joburg

Thanks, that sounds good! I'll take a look:-)

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Something to do outside of Joburg

Northern Drakensberg? My recommendations for places to stay would be the Cavern or Montusi.

Germany
Level Contributor
138 posts
113 reviews
4. Re: Something to do outside of Joburg

We've always wanted to go to the Drakensberg, so I'll definitely take a look. Thanks!

Reply to: Something to do outside of Joburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hazyview
Recent Conversations