We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Kruger & Beyond

Hi

I have our trip just about there but....

I have booked the 1st 8 days in Kruger area and have a rough done of the next 8 days spent driving to Durban via Swaziland.

Allowing 1 day on route to Mlilwane, 2 Mlilwane, 2 St Lucia, 2 Hluhluwe, 1 day Durban.

I am now wondering if we should spend another couple of days in Kruger and cut down or cut out other places e.g. Mlilwane.

Welcome any thoughts

Thanks Mary

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Kruger & Beyond

When you say 8 days in "Kruger Area" what does this mean? Eight days in Kruger National Park or private reserves or around Hazyview or wider afield in areas like the Blyde River Canyon?

If you leave one of the more Southern camps in Kruger such as Lower Sabie, Croc Bridge or Berg-en-Dal after breakfast you will get to Mbababane by lunchtime. About three hours including the border crossing. From there to Mlilwane takes only half an hour so you can spend the afternoon around Mbabane and the resort places between there and Mlilwane. Then two nights in Mlilwane. This is not prime game viewing as inside Kruger but is a pleasant break with some nice short drives. You may even want to go outside for a few hours.

Then Mliwane to St Lucia is an easy five hour drive including border crossing. Easy driving on good roads via Big Bend. A good place to stop for a latecoffee/early lunch break is Nisela Safari Loge right on the main road about 20 mins before the border.

Then St Lucia, Hluhluwe and Durban as you suggest. You now have one extra night to play with from your three in Swaziland. Which depending on your Kruger plans you could allocate there or later to one of the KZN places.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Kruger & Beyond

Thanks - the driving times are soooo helpful.

We are flying into Nelspruit airport and then driving up to Moholoholo Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre (is this worth a visit?) and sleeping somewhere after that?

We then spend 3 nights at Gomo Gomo Reserve. After that 1 night each in Kruger - Olifants, Satara, Skukuza and Berg-en-dal. Just read your highlight and some liked it the most of the camps. so wondering if I should use that extra night there to have a better look at Lower Sabie etc.?

cheers Mary

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Kruger & Beyond

Hi Mary, Moholoholo is worth a visit and you can also stay there overnight. Gomo Gomo is great. The camps you have chosen in Kruger are fine too, with Olifants and Satara the better two. Skukuza is in a very good game viewing area but it is the biggest camp, lots of people and vehicles around. If you can swop it for Lower Sabie I would do that. Berg en Dal is a very nice camp but the game viewing in the immediate vicinity is not as good as for example Skukuza or Lower Sabie.

I agree with VdC that the game viewing in Mlilwane is not on the same level as Kruger, so perhaps you may want to consider spending only 1 night there, and add the extra night either to Kruger, or to St Lucia or Hluhluwe. It depends on your interests, but 2 nights in St Lucia is quite short, giving you only 1 full day to enjoy the area. You could easily add another night there as there is so much to enjoy. Canoeing, fishing, boat cruises on the lagoon or ocean, snorkelling, lying on the beach, visiting a Zulu cultural village, etc.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Kruger & Beyond

Thanks will ring them tonight

cheers Mary:)

5. Re: Itinerary Kruger & Beyond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2012, 06:17