We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Kruger in February

uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Kruger in February

In February this year we visited Kruger for the first time, staying at 4 camps in 9 days, all in the south/middle of the park, from Lower Sabie to Letaba. We had some great advice from this forum as well as the SanParks forum, and had a fantastic experience. Just one downside to visiting the park in February was the fact that it being late summer, most of the animals were spread far and wide, and in some areas it was difficult viewing due to the long grass and vegitation.

This February we are thinking of returning to Kruger, this time exploring the northern parts of the park, staying at Mopani, Shingedzi and Sirheni for example. We think this might be a different experience being a dryer and more arid area, though we understand that the game is a lot less prevelent in this part of the park, and that Lions and other cats are scarce, and even non excistant so far north.

We would really appreciate any advice on visiting northern Kruger in February, ie. is it a good time to view game, and will we be disapointed after such a fantastic experience on our first visit.

Many thanks.

Martyn & Linda

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Kruger in February

Hi,

I haven't been to those areas in February - hopefully others can give their experience about that time of year. But I have been around Mopani and Shingwedzi area in the dry and from what I have seen there I would imagine that it would still have good vegetation cover although perhaps not as lush as down south. In terms of game we had excellent lion sightings in the Shingwedzi area on both our visits as well as hyaena although we missed out on the leopards that others saw. General game is very good and we were lucky to sight Roan and Tssessebe. There are also large herd of buffs in these areas although with more water around they may be more dispersed.

I am sure you will still have a great experience!

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Kruger in February

We are also are considering a February trip to Kruger, instead of Tanzania. Is Kruger animal viewing great in February? I know that the Serengeti is better, but is Kruger a great choice for less money? Thanks and I appreciate any advice.

uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Kruger in February

Well last February was our first experience of Kruger, but it was only after we booked that we learned that it was the wet season, and it may not be the best time of year to see game, due to the long grass and game being spread throughout the park. However we had a fantastic experience, and we did see virtually every thing we wanted to see in the 9 days we were in Kruger. One big advantage of February was the large number of young animals, summer being the time for most of the game to give birth, and it did seem to be a much quieter time to be in the park in terms of visitors.

4. Re: Northern Kruger in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2012, 05:16