We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sabbath in Kruger Park

gush etzion israel
Level Contributor
42 posts
94 reviews
Sabbath in Kruger Park

Here's a real question: We are an orthodox Jewish family, spending four days in the park, the fourth is Shabbat where we will do no driving. Only walking distance. Leaving out the north of the park, how would you suggest we split our time and what's the best rest-camp for our 'resting' 4th day?

There's currently availability in Skukuza & Satara, for our family.

Itinerary ideas welcome!

8 replies to this topic
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Sabbath in Kruger Park

I would prefer Satara, You will be able to walk along the fence line and see animals. The camp is not as "commercial" as Skukuza.

If you are lucky enough to book the Frankel Guesthouse for your family, you have got a busy waterhole right in front of your house.

Klaus

-Hazyview-

gush etzion israel
Level Contributor
42 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Sabbath in Kruger Park

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of experience we are looking for. We'll keep rechecking availability in that area..

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
1 review
3. Re: Sabbath in Kruger Park

If I total all the wildlife that I have seen from camp fences in Kruger. I would say that Olifants is by far the best. And the view is stunning. Keep checking the SANP website. Something may come up

2nd most productive camp would prob be Lower Sabie, then Skukuza and finally Satara.

Edited: 06 July 2018, 14:29
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Sabbath in Kruger Park

There’s a lot do do in Skukuza camp. The museum, nice shop. I’m not sure what else you don’t do on the Sabbath than drive as there are different customs. Skukuza is huge so lots of fence line.

I wonder if you could arrange a bush walk that leaves directly from camp. With a group of you and assuming you’re all over 12, you might. Can’t hurt to ask! With how big Skukuza is, I’d rather do it from a different smaller camp though.

There’s also Elephant Hall at Olifants.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
265 posts
5. Re: Sabbath in Kruger Park

The elephant hall is not at Olifants it is at Letaba!!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Sabbath in Kruger Park

Thanks for the correction.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Sabbath in Kruger Park

It’s not going to make a big difference btw the two camps. Both enable perimeter walks, Skukuza has a wonderful restaurant with a fabulous deck to sit outside and enjoy the river views. There is a very long walking path from one end of camp to another, including boardwalks. A big shop to explore, not sure about the museum if it has reopened. Satara you can walk the camp perimeter, also a big shop to explore. Much of a muchness really. Check if they still run the daily movies in the amphitheatre. If you stay in a Guesthouse it will provide more comfort, but if unavailable, staying in view accommodation will help fill in time.

Enjoy

gush etzion israel
Level Contributor
42 posts
94 reviews
8. Re: Sabbath in Kruger Park

Thank you, all! We will keep researching and read up on all you suggest!

Reply to: Sabbath in Kruger Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted