We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I buy a GPS in Johannesburg?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I buy a GPS in Johannesburg?

I'll be driving for 3 weeks through South Africa and Namibia and would like to purchase a GPS, what's the best store to pick one up? At the airport? Otherwise I'll be staying in Soweto, or anywhere near the Apartheid Museum?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I buy a GPS in Johannesburg?

In Woodmead (N. Joburg) you will have the big store Makro. There you can buy GPS.

good luck.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I buy a GPS in Johannesburg?

I remember another Makro on the road from the airport toward the city.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I buy a GPS in Johannesburg?

I should have added - to be sure it's loaded with the software for South Africa. If you have to buy that separately, it's expensive. If you could beg, borrow a Garmin GPS there in Canada, you could buy the software directly from Garmin for $100.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
793 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I buy a GPS in Johannesburg?

We spent 3 weeks driving SA. We purchased a new GPS at home and the Southern Africa maps on-line. If you buy at home or purchase locally always have backup paper directions. There were several situations where the GPS knew the hotel, but then took us on a parallel road near-by causing us to backtrack for miles. We arrived frustrated only to hear that this was a known problem that the hotel owner had been trying to get corrected for some time. So use the GPS for general directions, but have a second source of directions outside of the largest cities.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I buy a GPS in Johannesburg?

There is also one (Germinston)

http://www.makro.co.za/store-details

6. Re: Where can I buy a GPS in Johannesburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2012, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg