We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware: Eurocar car rental

California
Level Contributor
69 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Beware: Eurocar car rental

Scheming scammers, but maybe that's the S. Africa way. We were very careful, filmed everything, and they still refused to give us a receipt, or do any damage inspection. The scam is, I believe, if they see you are from another country they wait until you leave the Africa (obviously, since you're dropping off car) then add on a few extra hundred. Nothing you can do and credit card Co's don't care. Only when enough people complain will something get done.

When I turned in our car I actually went to the manager and politely requested a receipt, while filming the request on my smartphone. Wow, that sure made them nervous. Last thing they wanted was a record. Didn't matter, still no receipt (2 months later) and no reply, but only added an extra $50 so it's not worth my time. Filming must have helped.

I'd suggest you film everything so at least you have a record you can sent to credit card company in a dispute.

4 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,123 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware: Eurocar car rental

Was there any reason given by the manager why the drop-off confirmation receipt was not given to you?

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware: Eurocar car rental

I was wary about dropping off at Avis at Nelspruit airport recently after reading lots of bad reports. And sure enough, the guy set about trying to find as many marks on the car as possible. But the car had had quite a lot of scratches and nicks when we picked it up - almost too many to mark on the document provided - so I'd taken photos at the pickup.

As soon as I told him I had photos from the pickup, he suddenly changed his attitude and was completely fine and we were only charged the refill fee that we were expecting.

Edited: 12 December 2017, 07:37
Mentioned in this post
Nelspruit
Nelspruit
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
898 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware: Eurocar car rental

Hello

What is this drop-off receipt? I click photos and examine the car with the supervisor upon return, but AVIS or HERTZ has never given a drop-off receipt. They just mark everything on their sheet and inform you of any issues if at all. That's it.

Is this drop-off receipt to be demanded upon return?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,123 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware: Eurocar car rental

When one pick up a rental car there is a contract to be signed. One copy belongs to the rentner. On drop off I am always requesting that the person I am handing the car signs on this contract that the car has been returned, and the conditions of the car. Otherwise, what kind of a recourse would I have in a case of a dispute?! Photos and videos are (amybe) good to intimidate the rental car company, but are very feeble evidence if the case goes to the court ... and for sure not many international travellers would go to court over few hundred dollars ... but the credit card company will have a firm document to decline the payment. YMMV.

Reply to: Beware: Eurocar car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted