We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer time at O R Tambo airport

Cramlington...
Level Contributor
121 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer time at O R Tambo airport

Can anyone please give me some advice on the time it takes to transfer from international arrivals to domestic departures at O.R. Tambo airport? We arrive at 1015 and there is an internal flight at 1215 and I'm wondering if this will be enough time if I check in online the day before.

TIA for any help.

6 replies to this topic
Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer time at O R Tambo airport

That seems a little bit close for comfort. You need to allow around an hour to emerge from international arrivals then it’s around a 7-9 min walk to domestic departures for bag drop.

Cramlington...
Level Contributor
121 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer time at O R Tambo airport

Thank you Sandy, I thought it would be a bit close,

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer time at O R Tambo airport

2 hours is tight.

2.5 hours is OK if everything goes well, no delays, long queues at immigration, etc.

3 hours is the recommended time between flights.

Cramlington...
Level Contributor
121 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer time at O R Tambo airport

Many thanks Gavin

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer time at O R Tambo airport

Hi, I thought you might be interested in a service that I used for family visiting with tight transfers. We used Airport Meet and Greet. They were absolutely fantastic, giving me updates etc. I had to change timings at the last minute due a 17yr old travelling with both parents but requiring her birth certificate and at no time did BA notify my brother or sister in law. They were lucky and managed to get home from LHR and pick up birth certificate and make it back in time for the later 9.00pm flight (that is another rant anyhow). My family had only 1h 30mins but they made the transfer with a pick up at the airbridge, speedy VIP access through immigration and waiting to collect bags and then a brisk walk to TerminalB to BA check in desk. They also collected my niece who travelled later in the week and were fantastic the whole way, keeping us informed of her pick up at airbridge and transfer check in. I will definitely use them again for visitors and myself when transfer times are tight for immigration queue jumping (I know it is wrong but sometimes it is necessary). The service cost £64.00 for up to 4 people. bookings@airportmeetandgreet.co.za

Cramlington...
Level Contributor
121 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer time at O R Tambo airport

Many thanks for this Karen - very interesting. After the other advice we received we decided to book a hotel for the night and do the internal flight the following day. We're OK with this as we will have had a long flight to J'burg from the UK via Dubai so a good night's sleep won't go amiss! I'm going the keep the details of airport meet and greet for future holidays, thanks.

Reply to: Transfer time at O R Tambo airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted