We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toddler seats on Uber?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Toddler seats on Uber?

I tried to google but can't find any recent information on this. Is Uber a viable option if traveling with toddler? I understand that under 3-year-olds should sit in a child car seat according to SA law. We will visit Johannesburg for 2 days after our Garden Route vacation and I wouldn't bother to rent a car. Is it easy to get an Uber taxi with toddler seat? Have anyone had experiences?

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
9 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toddler seats on Uber?

If you on Twitter maybe try sending a DM or tweet to @uber_rsa. They seem to be prompt with answering various queries so sure they can be of assistance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toddler seats on Uber?

I personally don't use Uber. I simply don't like their business practices. However, you might find the information from these articles interesting

https://www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/family/paren…

womenonwheels.co.za/lifestyle-interests/…

I know that article is from February 2016 and may not reflect the current situation. However, it is a legal requirement for any child under the age of three to be seated and restrained in a car seat.

https://www.arrivealive.co.za/Car-Seats-for-…

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toddler seats on Uber?

You cannot order an Uber with a toddler seat because the app doesn't cater for it. Ordering radio call taxis, where you speak to a live operator, must be the better option, but I have never tried it for car seats.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toddler seats on Uber?

According to the uber website announcing the service back in 2016, you request a UberSUV in their app and choose the "Car Seat" option.

https:/…

Edited: 09 December 2017, 08:04
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toddler seats on Uber?

I cannot see an Uber car seat option here in Cape Town.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
6,406 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toddler seats on Uber?

Avoid Uber and use a registered transfer company, with proper DoT permits, Prdp, and insurance.

(My R0.02c worth)

PS I have a toddler seat at the ready, but it is rarely used, as most of my clients are fully grown!

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toddler seats on Uber?

Thank you all for your replies. I don’t like Uber business practices either and would never use them in my home country. But I have come to understand that Uber would be the most available and reliable option around Johannesburg. I’m sure Gautrain to Sandton or Rosebank and a walk across the street to the nearest hotel would be our best bet in terms of logistic simplicity. I just don’t think these areas are very interesting and I would rather choose to stay in some more relaxing surroundings in the suburbs. At the same time I would like to be able to go to a nice restaurant for dinner and to a mall for some last minute shopping. That just leaves the question of how to take the toddler along without breaking the law. (I also do care for the safety of my child but in my home country I often do short taxi rides with the child in my lap as official taxis are exempt from child car restraint regulations.) I would certainly be happy to pre-book a transfer to and from the airport but it seems a bit inflexible to do this for a short trip to the nearest mall or restaurant. That’s why I was asking if anyone had experiences with toddler seats on Uber. So, I guess I might need to rent a car for this, but I would be glad to hear other ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Sandton
Sandton
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toddler seats on Uber?

I'm not sure whether these guys have a service for tourists but it might be worth getting in touch with them to see if they can help. https://coolkidscabs.co.za/

They may see it as an overlooked business opportunity as it seems to me that there might be a significant number of tourists with kids needing transport that conforms to South African law and who are finding it difficult to find taxi services that do this.

australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toddler seats on Uber?

We have used Matodzi

https:/…REVIEWS

They are responsive, fair priced and deal with family groups very well perhaps give them an email re your requirements.

Reply to: Toddler seats on Uber?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg