We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Police when leaving Johannesburg airport

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Police when leaving Johannesburg airport

Have heard that it is common for tourists to be stopped leaving in rental cars usually for minor violations.Does thus happen

Phillipians 4 Four
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
MoAfrika Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris, Multi-day Tours
15 replies to this topic
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Police when leaving Johannesburg airport

Hi well drove from Johannesburg airport to hazyview and then around the area usual tourist sites saw the occasional police but no problems

CT
Level Contributor
160 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Police when leaving Johannesburg airport

My advice is to stay calm, smile and apologise. Say that you don't have money with you and that you will take the fine. If they further give you hassles, then agree to go into the police station to physically pay the fine. Never ever give them cash in the hand. Once they realise that they can't get money from you, then they will most likely drop the whole issue all together.

Gilroy, California
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Police when leaving Johannesburg airport

Hidden radar enforcement stops are becoming more common on the Kruger Gate Road from Hazyview. Avoid the temptation to get to the park in a hurry and enjoy the scenery. Many pedestrians are walking on the shoulders near larger villages on this road, another reason to drive slowly and why police enforcement is there to begin with. If you are pulled over be friendly, polite, and respectful. Explain that you are a tourist and a visitor to South Africa. The majority of police officers are friendly if treated with respect. Drive safely!

Michael - Owner - Kanyezi Africa Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Police when leaving Johannesburg airport

>>The majority of police officers are friendly if treated with respect. <<

That is, indeed, my experience over a lifetime ( licensed for 52 years, so far)of driving in RSA, having experienced many "traffic stops and police "roadblocks"" :-)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Police when leaving Johannesburg airport

Hi yes I was the person who asked originally and after driving from Johannesburg to kruger return and then along the garden route and return to Cape Town i was only stopped once in a routine check.The officer was polite smart and efficient. So I can honestly say I had no problems and after hearing some of the local news reports about deaths on road caused by drink driving and speeding. I welcome there presence

Reply to: Police when leaving Johannesburg airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted