We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa car rental company - charge dispute

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
South Africa car rental company - charge dispute

Has anyone filed a dispute with their credit card company before on an unwarranted charge from rental car company (South Africa)? Were you successful? What else had I not done?

My story is the following:

- Rented car in South Africa for a few days, amount was fully prepaid on Chase card before trip

- Drop off car, agent inspected car and check in without issues

- Two weeks after drop off, saw a $200-300 charge from rental car company

- Contacted rental car company, who replied and said this amount was for i) damage/dent, ii) outstanding charge since prepaid amount hasnt covered everything (not true), iii) insufficient fuel and miscellaneous (not true). All of which were not raised as an issue to me at the time I drop off the car

- Followed up again, but merchant disappeared into thin air.

Merchant is a international car rental company (think Hertz, Budget, Avis etc, not mom-and-pop shop). Also contacted the US HQ of the car rental company to file complaint, so the international team opened up a case, claimed they are contacting their SA counterpart and escalating the case, but still no response.

After 3-4 weeks of being ignored, I decided to take the next step - file dispute with Chase whose credit card I used for rental car payment. Chase did not follow-up with me at all, did not offer provisional credit and had not ruled in my favor yet. Very annoyed that I have to call them up to see what's going on, and they claim it takes 30 days to respond to me.

I am getting increasingly agitated abt the whole issue as it's been dragging for almost 2 months. I know we are not talking about thousands of dollars, but still, this annoys me to no end.

I am clearly aware this post-trip random charge has been quite a notorious issue with South Africa car rental companies. So I would like to know what others have done in the past in resolving their situation. Appreciate any insights.

21 replies to this topic
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: South Africa car rental company - charge dispute

Spent 2 weeks in south Africa and the only time I had any problems was at hertz car hire in both Johannesburg airport and cape town. Firstly returning a car to johannesburg they tried to say there was a scrape on the rear driver side wheel trim when I argued they checked a old return form and suddenly everything was OK. Then returning a car to Cape Town they said there was a rip/hole in tyre I explained that when I picked the car up it was after 9pm and dark the rep who was with me at the time was using his mobile phone as a torch. I asked for more lighting but this was no forthcoming. Speaking to the supervisor at cape town she said the vehicles were recorded leaving the workshop so they would be able to tell if there was any damage at that time.when I said why do they record each tyre she said they would carry out an investigation. Sounds like a scam

Reply to: South Africa car rental company - charge dispute
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted