We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit visa OR Tambo Airport

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Transit visa OR Tambo Airport

Travelling from New Zealand to Madagascar via Johannesburg. I have a 17 hour layover in OR Tambo Airport where i have been told that i will need to pick up my luggage and re check in for my onward flight to Madagascar, therefore I will need to pass through immigration and customs, effectively entering South Africa.

Looking on line I can see that OR Tambo has been exempt from Transit Visas

"Travelers transiting through the following international airports ...OR Tambo..are exempted from/do not have to be in possession of transit visas, but will be subjected to biometric capturing directly at the airport"

New Zealand Citizens now require a visa to enter South Africa.

Has anyone done this similar transfer recently ? Did you need a transit Visa ? Are there any other forms/documentations required ?

I have contacted Airlines / Travel Agents and I am getting mixed messages. Tried to contact SA Consulate in NZ but they have not responded.

26 replies to this topic
2 posts
21. Re: Transit visa OR Tambo Airport

Hello,

My colleague from Lithuania is travelling from Istambul to Tambo International airport, Johanesburg to Gaborone, Bostwana. she has direct flight from Johanesburg to Bostwana. Could You tell me whether she needs transit visa or not?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
13 reviews
22. Re: Transit visa OR Tambo Airport

As long as she stays airside at JNB, no transit Visa is necessary.

2 posts
23. Re: Transit visa OR Tambo Airport

thank You :)

3 posts
24. Re: Transit visa OR Tambo Airport

Hi has anyone from NZ transferred through OR Tambo airport recently and can update situation. We plan to transit on the way to Victoria Falls . Thanks

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
3 posts
92 reviews
25. Re: Transit visa OR Tambo Airport

have just read your comment, how did you get on as I am in the same situation!!

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
26. Re: Transit visa OR Tambo Airport

I would like to know what the original poster did. I am only taking carry on luggage so that I can avoid going through customs on my way to Botswana. So sick of taking too much luggage in any case.

Reply to: Transit visa OR Tambo Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg