We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Ghalib Information - Regulars Pls Read

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
473 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Port Ghalib Information - Regulars Pls Read

Hi it's Luke from Emperor Divers. I wanted to break some news on here before the message gets out in the wrong way and has a potentially damaging impact on people's perception of Egypt. On 1st January, TGI Fridays, Grand Cafe and Fusion (the 3 main bars and restaurants in Port Ghalib) stopped serving all alcohol. Please note that this was a decision made by the multinational (14 countries) franchisee of the chains, the Americana Group and is no way linked to any policy or trend in Egypt. I know that some idiotic right wing papers ran some articles recently about bikini and beer bans but this was all nonsense as the current poll leaders have explicitly said they will not make any decisions to negatively impact the vital tourist trade in Egypt. It is very unfortunate that Americana made this decision as ultimately I'm sure some people will put 2 and 2 together and make 5, so please look out for any forum posts or reviews that start to spread any rumours that might affect our beloved Marsa Alam area :)

For your information, alcohol is still freely served in all hotels (there is a sports pub on the Resta Grand grounds also that welcomes outside guests), in Boudours Court (the Lebanese restaurant on the marina), in the VIP club and I'm sure an independent will step up soon and set up a bar proper on the marina.

Best Regards,

Luke.

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Ghalib Information - Regulars Pls Read

Thanks Luke

Strange as similar things going on in the maldives at the moment . The government tried to close all the spas and rumours still going on of possible alcohol and pork bans .

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
473 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Ghalib Information - Regulars Pls Read

Hi Andy, the key thing here is it is not the government, but a Kuwait owned company that has made the decision and it;s important we keep an eye out for any posts that suggest otherwise. Chinese whispers being what they are, we'll end up with people thinking that Egypt has gone hard line when it hasn't.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Ghalib Information - Regulars Pls Read

Cheers Luke

As Andy says similar things have been muted on the maldives sites as well , it could be Kuwait is having similar issues as maldives Govt and it's a way of deflecting that. .

Totally agree with the sentiments about quashing any rumors as most of us know Egypt always tries to strike a reasonable balance.

Sg

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Ghalib Information - Regulars Pls Read

I know what you mean Luke and luckily these forums give people the information they need to make an informed choice .

Once there is an air of disruption people look elsewhere .

Odd decision all the same when they are trying to attract more people to come there .

I must remember to go out and shoot myself in the foot later :o]

Andy

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Ghalib Information - Regulars Pls Read

Well let me tell you something.

The vast majority of visitors to Marsa Alam are NOT british and do not have english language as their mother tongue. This people however consult the english speaking TA forum .

Your post is not well written and the true meaning most certainly will be lost in translation and be misinterpreted by non-english speaking people as most alarming.

Remove the post it will do more harm than good or have it re-written !

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
473 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Ghalib Information - Regulars Pls Read

Hi hiker, I appreciate your comments and you know my intention is not to cause alarm, quite the opposite. I feel that the message will be out soon enough anyway - fact is it has happened, and people will visit PG, and people will assume things, and people will talk. This post is aimed at the regulars to this forum hence the title and you are one, andy another, sg certainly one. When a few more of the active posters have read and commented, such as dygbys and barry, I will look into taking it down if that's even possible. Or, perhaps you could paraphrase it for the non-British speaking market and re-post. In the meantime at least the key people on these forums are informed enough to give the relevant information when necessary.

Regards,

Luke.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Ghalib Information - Regulars Pls Read

Thanks for the update Luke. It's perfectly clear to me.

I wouldn't take the post down as I think it will help people understand what's happening.

I'm not a drinker myself so this won't affect me but I can see that it will be an important issue for many.

MM x

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Ghalib Information - Regulars Pls Read

I agree informing people of the reasons behind the topic will hopefully stop a mass panic .

These forums are to provide information to people and this is just what Luke is doing .

We cannot unfortunately translate this to every language but hopefully your computer translates it enough to understand the basic topic . No disrespect intended and we welcome every comment from everywhere .

Maybe you could add to the thread in your mother language to inform your country .

Andy

sg2
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Ghalib Information - Regulars Pls Read

I think the message is clear and is aimed at the main readers of this forum page whose language is English. I do not think it should be remove

as Andy suggests maybe some of the readers whose mother tongue is not english can repost the information on the forum page in their mother tongue to pass the message on..

So to Clarify Luke's informaton in simple consise english.

On 1st January, TGI Fridays, Grand Cafe and Fusion (the 3 main bars and restaurants in Port Ghalib) all stopped serving alcohol. This decision was not made by the egyptian Govenment but by the franchise which owns the outlets listed and does not represent the egyptian approach to the tourist trade.

Normal service is still being enjoyed at all other hotels this including the sports pub on the Resta Grand grounds which welcomes outside guests), Boudours Court (the Lebanese restaurant on the marina), in the VIP club

Sg

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Ghalib Information - Regulars Pls Read

Thanks for the information, any live up to date news direct from the area is welcome.

Barry.