We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription medication

Leicester, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Prescription medication

We are travelling 16.7.18 to marsa alam. I just wondered if anybody knows if u need a gp letter or whether a repeat prescription form is adequate. It is diabetes meds, betablockers,blood pressure, inhalers and anxiety meds. Thank you

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription medication

I don't think that any of those listed in Egypt and as long as its for personal use (no big amounts) there will be no issue and you won't need to bring anything for it.

Edited: 05 July 2018, 16:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,962 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription medication

The Egyptian Govenment’s official position is given in the FAQs of the consulate’s UK website, ie

“An official letter from your GP is required, specifying that the medication you are taking to Egypt is for your personal use only, the quantity you will be carrying and details of your condition. Please note that any medication containing Methadone is NOT permitted into Egypt. For further details please contact the Egyptian Medical Office in London".

Some of your meds will be on sale over the counter in Egypt and, in general, if you bring your prescriptions, a letter from your GP and only take what you need for the holiday, you should be fine. If in doubt, as said, contact the Consulate.

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam, Port Ghalib, Safaga, Hurghada
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription medication

People look at things differently and the guideline does state have a Prescription or Gp Letter.

Every thing you have listed is available over the counter in Pharmacies and do not see it being an issue.

Leicester, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription medication

Thank you for replying. Does that mean we need one or the other but not both?

Leicester, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription medication

Many thanks for your reply.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription medication

We travelled with my husbands diabetes meds and epipen, took a prescription just incase but no worries with any of it

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescription medication

I always travel with a GP letter and a repeat prescription, and always keep meds in hand luggage.

Reply to: Prescription medication
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted