We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef

Hi guys.

I've just arrived at Resta Reef tonight.

I got a 10gb data SIM and a mobile WiFi router from Vodafone at the airport.

My problem is no-one can hear me on WhatsApp calls... WhatsApp texts go fine and photos.

Anyone know how good the 3G signal is here... or why I might be having issues?

Thanks in advance.

Anita.

13 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,510 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef

Hi Anita

The reason is Watts app is blocked from calling by the Egyptian government, as well as a few other voice apps.

The way around it is to download a VPN.

Vodaphone is perfect in marsa alam.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef

Thanks. I'll look into that in the morning then.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,510 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef

Hi Anita

Unfortunately Egypt, as well as numerous countries that these services due to online censorship, or to protect the interest of large telecom providers.

Hope your enjoying your holiday ☀

Edited: 28 February 2018, 19:28
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef

Has anyone used a free VPN lately over here, that worked for WhatsApp calls specifically, that they can recommend?

It would save me trying them and then having to trial call family to see if it worked.

TIA.

Anita.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef

Still can't find a free VPN that works for WhatsApp calls over here. Anyone have one that works right now?

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef

Try this one if not no idea.

https://www.expressvpn.com

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef

Thanks. Won't let me sign up for a trial via the app, so I'll try via their website later.

Luckily I've found that Facebook messenger still allows calls. Just unfortunate that my father can only use WhatsApp to call me (he had a major stroke and re teaching him to use WhatsApp was hard enough). 😪

Hereford
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef

Hi,

I’m due to go to Marsa Alam in 3 weeks and have discovered that hotel Wi-fi is not good.

I’m looking at getting a travel hotspot modem/ dongle. You mention that Vodaphone is good in Marsa Alam - where can I get a PAYG sim from and how much are they ?

Thanks

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef

There is a Vodafone stand at the Airport.

Very helpful Staff but make sure your phone etc is unlocked and they will set it up for you also.

You can get dongles and also rent Mifi units from them.

SIM card prices vary depending on how much data you want.

20gig is around £22.

There are many different packages available and costs.

You are right not to rely on hotel Wi-Fi if a stable connection is what you need.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef

I got back home last night. Thanks for everyone's help whilst I was away.

I used my Vodafone data SIM every day with no issues at all.

As I wasn't sure how it'd work, I didn't buy my own MIFI router and rented one from the Vodafone stand. As Jared said, they're very good on the stand, set the MIFI router up on my phone to show it worked and I was away. I did overhear someone ask for the price in £s... and he was told it was the same as euros.... the chap that appeared to be senior/in charge quickly corrected his collegue and worked out the rate on his phone (I remembered someone talking about this last week, so hopefully it's gotten back to those on the Vodafone stand and they're correcting staff).

I would warn others wanting to rent the Vodafone MIFI router though... it's very hard getting your tour rep to get you access back to the Vodafone stand in arrivals when you get back to the airport (to give the router back and get your deposit back); it did however work really well and the battery lasted longer than I expected every day. I will definitely buy my own router for my next visit.

Reply to: Vodafone data SIM signal at Resta Reef
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marsa Alam