We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port ghalib shops

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Port ghalib shops

This is mainly aimed at Jared who seems to have a bottomless well of useful information. I know there are a few restaurants and bars on the marina but what other outlets? Is there a mini-Mart to get cigarettes,chocolate,biscuits etc? Also is el quseir worth a visit and how to get there. I know about Stevens taxis, is there any one else in ghalib? I have read about something called coco trans but info is scarce. Thanks for any help.

4 replies to this topic
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port ghalib shops

I hope you don't mind some else answers your question... :-)

There is a small minimarket in the harbour at the corner when you come in from the beach of the Palace en Siva Hotel. They sell all kind of things but no fresh food. I don't smoke so I didn't notice if they sell cigarettes or not. I pay always in Egyptian Pounds but the man accepts also Euro's and English Pounds but then the prices are more expensive.

Rest of the shops is what I call rubbish - all orientated to tourists and souvenir shopping...

El Quseir is about 60 km away to the north. Just over an hour driving. Some tour operators sell it as a half day excursion. Half of that half day you waist your time in shops with souvenirs. El Quseir is a nice little town with big amount of flats around it. In the centrum are few shops with clothes and so, but also a lot of places that are orientated to tourists.

We have never uses taxis during our holidays there so I don't know about that.

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam, Port Ghalib, Safaga, Hurghada
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port ghalib shops

Most kind for the Words.

I will start with El Quesir and to me it is worth a visit.

The Ottoman Fort is pretty Impressive and well worth the walk up the hill.

Now shopping is the normal tourist bazaars etc.

In the fishing port itself you will find 2 small beaches and a nice Seafood restaurant.

Friday is a good day as it is Market day when local Bedouin bring in handmade things which gives a better selection for tourists.

Along the beaches there are a few other cafes and restaurants.

El Quesir you will not find many tourists but yes is worth a visit for a day out.

Stevens Taxis you know about and yes there are other transport options but I use Steven myself and can tailor make your day for you.

Coco Tans is a an Excursion place but can not tell you much about what they offer or their prices.

With Steven you can add maybe something else to your day out with El Quesir.

Port Ghalib.

Shopping as Maenan as said you are pretty much have the 1 mini Mart on offer which stocks essential things but can be limited. Yes they do sell cigarettes but limited.

My advice with smokes is either bring them from the UK if it is a certain brand you require as you will not find them here.

Cigarettes you find in the bazaar or Souk will most definitely be fake so do not be tempted.

There is a duty free on arrival into Marsa Alam on arrival with a small selection.

The shops mainly in Port Ghalib is the Bazaar and Souk but don't expect it to be dirty. This is modern air conditioned but is aimed totally at tourists.

Supposedly in the Corniche there is 165 shops within the modern bazaar they sell all kinds if crafts and wares.

Eating there are a few restaurants. Bicafe does Sushi and Cocktails, Divino is Italian, Pizzas etc, Wunder-Bar which is a Grill, Steaks and Tapas, Sultan which is Oriental and Arab.

There is the Egyptian Cafe, and Tutti-Frutti the Ice Cream place may have changed name not been past it for awhile serves breakfast and juices also.

We used to have a TGI Friday, Baskin Robbins 51, Costa Coffee, and a Pizza Hut but all closed now.

It is nice just to have a walkabout at night there is a few other little eateries tucked here and there.

You should get to the Palace Hotel and try the Olive Garden for Arab and Indian style.

In the Palace you have The Lookout Bar for drinks cocktails and live music with great views.

Also the Pool deck as well at the Palace.

Still nice to wander out and about at night and the boats in the Marina 1 can dream and try blag to get a foot on board. Believe it or not Arabs that own the boats are easily approachable and usually willing to show you around.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port ghalib shops

Thanks for all that . Really looking forward to our trip in January. I think we've chosen well.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port ghalib shops

We are considering a visit to Port Ghalib sometime in the future. Still just an idea for now.

Thanks for all the useful information Jared and Maenan! It make planning a visit easier.

Reply to: Port ghalib shops
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marsa Alam