We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid

My husband and I are going to be staying at this hotel for Christmas and New Year, can anyone tell us what the hotel is like and weather at this time of year. Also does the airport have banks for you to get your visa. Thank you

13 replies to this topic
Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
75 reviews
1. Re: Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid

Yes there is a bank to get your visa

Weather is warm during the day but not hot, cold at night so take a fleece or jacket

Karen

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid

Thank you.

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid

Not sure what you would like to know. Have you been Port Ghalib Before?.

Port Ghalib is a sort of purpose built resort which in some ways is still happening.

Sunrise Marina was originally built as an Apartment Complex but because of recession etc was turned into an Aparthotel. It has been open as the Sunrise awhile now but they have been doing a lot of work getting ready for Thomas Cooks arrival in October.

I live a 5 minute walk up the road so pass it every day.

First thing you should know and be aware of over Christmas and New Year that you have Compulsory Gala Dinners to pay for on arrival and this catches many people out and you should of either been advised of this or the charge has been added to your booking..

However the Gala Dinner on Xmas eve is optional but if you do want to attend it is $75 per person.

New Years Eve is compulsory and the charge should have been added to your holiday already.

The hotel is literally less than 5 miles from the airport and I would really look at a private transfer before paying out £30 - £40 with tour operator as can be achieved for around £5 in a private car. There are no taxis at Marsa Alam airport as the airport is private. Only transfer buses and pre arranged transfers.

Weather.

Should generally be ok but do not be disappointed if it is not roasting hot. Daytime average will be around 20C but in the sun will feel 25C ish.

Still nice if you can find a sheltered spot.

Evenings will be around 15C and yes it can be windy in the day and evening and you will need some warm clothing just in case.

The weather can turn so please do not treat it as Canaries winter weather. It can be deceiving and cool sometimes.

Remember also it will not be sun down at 8pm etc as Egypt is like the UK. 3.30pm sun will start to sink and dark by 5.30pm - 6pm.

Your hotel.

What you may find with your room is that you may have a seperate lounge and maybe a little kitchen but that is explained like I said they were apartments once.

There are now 2 swimming pools, 1 is heated which you will need trust me.

There is also a small Aqua Park that is heated also.

There are floodlit tennis courts, Dive Centre on Site, Spa, Ten Pin Bowling and a Nightclub that has singers and entertainment and they also have their own Animation Team.

You have the main restaurant and 2 Al La Cartes Egyptian, and Mediterranean with a Beach Snack Bar and 1 near the Aquapark. Plenty of bars dotted around.

Port Ghalib.

Being Honest you are not going to find in your face shops, restaurants or bars like you will in Hurghada or Sharm.

The resort is lovely to walk around with a great Marina with boats that will make your eyes water.

There are a few shops, few restaurants, couple of bars, and a coffee shop. We did have a TGI Fridays once and a Baskin Robbins along with Costa Coffee but they have all closed.

As long as you come with an open mind and please think it is nothing like Hurghada or Sharm you will be ok.

It is a quiet peaceful resort and very relaxed pace of life.

Airport is very modern and privately owned. Please do not fall for the rep trap on visa purchase. They are $25 per passport. You will see The Bank of Egypt window on your left do not approach anyone else or person offering a visa.

You can also purchase a Data SIM on arrival from the Vodafone stand but make sure your phone is unlocked to any network.

Most people take their own Mifi unit can be purchased cheaply from EBay or Amazon.

You will find Internet service very poor and slow at all hotels in Port Ghalib. Vodafone is about the fastest service in Port Ghalib.

Weather will be ok and have an enjoyable break.

Have a look at this website for more information.

Www.marsaalam.com

Edited: 28 August 2017, 11:44
Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid

Hi Jared, thank you very much for all that information, it has been really helpful to us. We are going to be staying there for four weeks, and as we are not party goers as such, peace and quiet will be absolutely great. It does sound just ideal. I will definitely be checking with Thomas Cook tomorrow regarding the Christmas eve and New Year eve gala dinners!! Thanks again for all the information.

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid

Your most welcome.

The Xmas Eve Gala meal is optional you do not have to Purchase that like I said but if you do think you would like to go it is $75 per person and can be oaid at horel.

Usually New Years Eve is included in the holiday cost.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid

Jared, where are you staying. 5 minutes away must mean The Palace or Siva Hotel...

Are you still there next week ?

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid

Hi Maenan.

We are here sort of permanently at the minute.

We are having a life change..

We have an Apartment in Marina Residence in The Pool View Area. The Marina View was out our Budget lol.

Yes I will be around next week amongst bookings and work appointments. It has got very hot again last few days it is 8pm and still 38C. Today has been 46C pretty much since 11am till around 5pm.

Just drop me a line when you arrive.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid

I arrive 4th of september in evening. Will send you message.

1 post
9. Re: Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid

Hi, I also arrive on the 1st January and we are staying at Sunrise Marina. How did you book your transfer to the hotel? I have found quotes for £35 for the 3 of us but it is 5 minutes away so this seems to be an extortionate price to pay!

Edited: 18 December 2017, 23:17
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
21 reviews
10. Re: Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid

We were in hotel next door and paid 15 euro one way to the hotel for private transfer

Reply to: Sunrise Marina Port Ghalid
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marsa Alam
Recent Conversations