We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cameras? Hand or hold luggage?

Bridgwater, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Cameras? Hand or hold luggage?

We have a Samsung Galaxy and a GoPro camera which we are taking on holiday. On the return fight from Egypt do we have to put them in hold or can we carry them in the hand luggage?

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
8 replies to this topic
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cameras? Hand or hold luggage?

The Samsung, I assume, is some kid of tablet / smart phone, whilst the GoPro is obviously a camera.

The official, UK Government. statement of what is and isn't allowed in your hand luggage can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/kxp8jaw

One thing to note is that, unlike with the, now lifted, US restrictions, cameras are explicitly excluded from any restrictions, for flights to the UK.

Bridgwater, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cameras? Hand or hold luggage?

The Samsung Galaxy camera is a EK GC10 therefore a camera and not a tablet that is why asked

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cameras? Hand or hold luggage?

cameras as specified in the link are ok ,

it is your batteries or rather spares which are proving problematic ,and any multi battery chargers

there is a thread on the forum earlier about what has happened to people on their way back recently

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cameras? Hand or hold luggage?

Just to clarify: As far as I understand this only applies to UK-bound flights, right?

(Had my return flight to Zurich today, and got worried after reading this thread. But no, I had no problems bringing laptops, cameras, and tons of spare batteries on that flight.)

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cameras? Hand or hold luggage?

Yep, it are the UK rules that the staff in Marsa Alam has to follow for people flying to the UK.

We fly always to Belgium of Germany and have no problems at all (except for lighters)

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
549 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cameras? Hand or hold luggage?

Sooo excited, just booked Makadi Bay, flying this Sunday. Not really planned so I'm all smiles:-D

So what items should NOT be in hand luggage both ways (GoPro, iPad tablet, Samsung phone ...)

I'm flying Salzburg-Hurghada.

Thx.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cameras? Hand or hold luggage?

As long as you're not on a flight from Egypt to the UK there shouldn't be any special restrictions. So I guess just pack as you normally would. (Usually all li-ion batteries should go in carry-on luggage.)

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
549 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cameras? Hand or hold luggage?

Thanks, Albin.

Reply to: Cameras? Hand or hold luggage?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marsa Alam