We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally booked.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Finally booked.

Have booked sunrise marina for end of january, thanks for advice on a previous post. Any comments on this hotel would be helpful. We are a middle-aged couple new to snorkeling and O H is partially disabled so not a strong swimmer. I know there is a reef on hotel beach but any advice on other places to snorkel or boat trips would be welcome.(this is in port ghalib by the way). Thanks in advance for any help.

7 replies to this topic
Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam, Port Ghalib, Safaga, Hurghada
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally booked.

Well I hope you have a great holiday. Can not tell you much about the hotel itself as all the times I have been Post Ghalib I have never been in the hotel.

Sunrise are a good chain though.

I do know a little about the complex. The original development was originally apartments but converted to hotel rooms, has a good swimming pool and a small aquapark but don't let that put you off as it will not be overly full. You will find the rooms may have a small kitchen in them as I mentioned once were apartments.

If your budget stretches and not sure of price but upgrade to a suite on arrival that would have a view of the sea and apparently not that expensive to Upgrade.

Now Port Ghalib. It is very much a quiet resort and very relaxing with just a few restaurants and bars and few shops but do not be disappointed by the amount of them. It is not comparable to Sharm or Hurghada at all. If you need retail therapy then head to El Quesir which can be arranged easily has some good bazaars and shops to browse.

Snorkelling is great in Marsa where ever you go.

Things to do depending on your fitness etc or things to see.

Sataya Reef by boat for dolphins, turtles etc and great snorkelling. Hamata in the deep south but is a bit of a journey but worth it.

Sharm El Luli beach absolutely breath taking.

Also Luxor can be done in a day but a very long day.

Camel Safari in the Desert.

The only other thing end of january is the weather. It will be warm in the Sun around 21 to 22C and if you find a sheltered spot then easily you can lay in the Sun.

Night times can get chilly sometimes so make sure you take something warm for the evenings.

Sea temperature is around 25C quite pleasant.

Port Ghalib does not get so windy sometimes as the coast resorts but the wind sometimes can take the heat of the sun away sometimes but you will tan and burn so be careful.

Other tips. If you need to call home then there is a Vodafone stand at the airport and the guys can set you up with a local SIM in a phone very cheaply rather than using your UK one.

On arrival do not be pushed around by the reps who will rip you off for the visa cost and say to you they will collect it on the transfer bus and charge you £25 Which is a Con

The actual cost is $25 per person and you will see Bank Of Egypt desk left hand side and do not fall for the reps.

Also exchange no money in the UK as you get far more for your money in Egypt. You can exchange money when getting your visa on arrival. What you will find in Port Ghalib are Bank Machines where you feed Sterling in and you get Local Currency out. Very easy to use.

Shopping and hotels. They all accept Dollars, Sterling and Euros in Hard Currency but be very careful if purchasing things like this as their conversion rates do not work in your favour sometimes and you will pay more.

It is complete myth when people say they do not accept local currency this is very untrue they do.

Tipping. Only tip when you think it is deserved and please do not tip in £ coins or other coins as no use at all to local staff. Always try and tip in local currency.

Now speaking of transfers and trips and taxis which are far and few between.

There is a local entrepreneur that has lived in the area 10 years and is very good.

I am not promoting him his name is Steven.

If you have a look through this website he can help you with any advice or journeys you need to make. Have a good read and will explain things you need to know within the Marsa Alam area. He does answer emails very quickly and I would suggest planning ahead sometimes. There is no payment up front at all. Just tell him I have you guidance.

www.marsalam.com

Anything else just send me a message.

Have a great holiday and first time in Port Ghalib.

Edited: 20 July 2017, 17:50
Mentioned in this post
Port Ghalib
Port Ghalib
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Hurghada
Hurghada
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Sataya Reef
Sataya Reef
633 Reviews
Marsa Alam, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Marsa Alam
Marsa Alam
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
4,299 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally booked.

You need another a in the link Jared :)

www.marsaalam.com

Quite fancy Marsa myself!

Edited: 20 July 2017, 20:17
Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally booked.

Thanks for that Lesley it looked right when I typed it Lol. Hope your well. Sure more the merrier it is a peaceful area. Will just have to see what happens when Thomas Cook arrive in November but good news for the locals though.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally booked.

I think 25 degrees is a bit optimistic 😄

We were in Port Ghalib in March. Sea water was cool/cold. So take a thin wet suit if you really want to enjoy snorkling.

Edited: 20 July 2017, 22:25
Mentioned in this post
Port Ghalib
Port Ghalib
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally booked.

I was taking law of averages Maenan but it does say average for January is 24 to 25C

It is bearable at least it is not like a freezer.

Edited: 20 July 2017, 22:49
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finally booked.

It was indeed bearable but for me not for longer then 30 minutes or so... So I take short wetsuit next year in March :-)

Looking forward to 4th of september and the warm sea water and long snorkling

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finally booked.

by the way port ghalib now has its own forum , but its not actually being used as I dont think people realised TA had given it , its own place

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g108…

Think Jared has covered most things for you re the basics , transfers , visa money , tipping

, my only suggestion would be depending on your O/H Disablity level , if the boats are suitable, the Dolphin trips both sites from my experience are depending on you climbing from a boat to a RIB to be transferred to swim in open water , whilst you will have a life preserver provided , you then need to be able with assistance to get back into the rib before transferring to the main boat - so it may be checking with who ever you book with , also the configuration on the boat ie where the toilets are as on some they are down stairs which in rough weather can be a challenge

the reef off the beach at ghalib is accessible by walking in very shallow slope and a lot to see

Reply to: Finally booked.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted